TA-30 Quality

Discussion area for Transatlantic and Royal Atlantic.

Moderators: Grandor, ned, Guitarzan, Platypus

GnLguy
Bottle Rocket

TA-30 Quality

Post by GnLguy » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:12 pm

New to the forum and not a Mesa owner yet but hoping to in the future. Currently using a Blackstar Artist 15 which is a pretty decent amp but not a Mesa.

I like the sound clips that I've heard of the Mesa Boogie TA-30 but I see several complaints of various problems with this amp line.

Would you buy a used TA-30, considering the complaints that is seen on this board? Most like it would be purchased thru either Reverb or Guitar Center, considering that I live 10 miles from nowhere LOL

If I come up with the money, I will be flipping the coin on either a Fillmore 50 or a California Tweed but in the meantime, the TA-30 is a definite possibility

Many Thanks in Advance
Keith
aka GNLguy

Voodoo Child77
Mark II

Re: TA-30 Quality

Post by Voodoo Child77 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:04 pm

What complaints are you concerned about? If it's about the effects loop/reverb issues, I asked the same question and a few members chimed in. Just look for my question a few posts down from yours. Seems that the general opinion is that the early models may have issues, but the later models are okay.
Mesa Boogie Lone Star Classic, Stiletto Deuce II, TA-15
Mesa Boogie Lone Star 4x10, Lone Star 27 1x12, Recto Compact 2x12, TransAtlantic 1x10

Waycooler
Bottle Rocket

Post by Waycooler » Mon May 04, 2020 1:36 am

I have one and it is far from reliable. It sounded fantastic when it worked. Having owned it for about 6 months, I was using it for practice at home and decided to switch out the Matchless Chieftain and pedal rig I was using at band practice with the TA 30. About two months later, it developed a hum and a crackling sound and the volume dropped out while on channel two. I switched to channel one and the hum disappeared for about two minutes then it reappeared along with a burning odor. I took it to a Mesa authorized repair center. They said the tubes were shot (the old ones had very little playing time on them), replaced a small component on the board and made some voltage adjustments in the amp. That service cost about $250. I took it home and it seemed to work fine. Over the next couple of months I played it for a total of maybe 10 hours and thought I could take it back to band practice. About three weeks in, the hum and crackling came back and the volume dropped out. The TA 30 now sits on a shelf in my basement.

I have to say that the Matchless has been very reliable and has never failed me in the 25 years I’ve owned it. I recently retired it as I have gotten older and it is too heavy to drag to gigs. I bought a Vox AC15 and while it does not sound as rich as the other two amps, it has been very reliable and I get the sounds I need from my pedal board. If I buy another high end amp I will look at the Matchless Lightning, a Dr.Z or maybe a Tone King. In hind-site I think Mesa was trying to do too much with the TA30 and the design was too complicated.

Amptech
Bottle Rocket

Post by Amptech » Mon May 04, 2020 9:32 pm

Waycooler, might the broken TA30 be up for sale at any point?