TA30 Giving Out

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

someone

Reaction score
I've had a TA30 for almost 5 years now. It's been played pretty regularly in that time and just lately it's started doing this terrible thing where it starts kinda crapping out after playing with it for a while and then the sound coming from it gets really quiet and eventually sorta disappears. I changed all the power tubes not long ago, have never changed the preamp tubes before.

Not really sure what causes this. Any advice? Thanks 8)

Swap,out your phase inverter tube with a new one. The TA has a Post Phase Inverter master volume on the Vox channel so it pushes the phase inverter tube pretty hard. My TA started doing the same thing (volume dropping, dull tone) and a new phase inverter tube fixed me right up.

hmm... any suggestions on the best place to buy a phase inverter tube for the ta30? I've never replaced one, don't know what I'm doing heh.

someone said:
hmm... any suggestions on the best place to buy a phase inverter tube for the ta30? I've never replaced one, don't know what I'm doing heh.

Any Mesa dealer should have them. It's a 12ax7. It will be the 4th preamp tube over from the input side.

If you have a Mesa authorized service person close by you should take the amp in while it's still under warranty. There were a couple of updates on the TA-30 and depending on when yours was made it may or may not have them. Mesa will update the amp for you under warranty if any apply to your amp.

jmontgomery said:
Do you know what build date these updates were made on new amps shipping out?

No but you can call Mesa with your serial number and they should be able to tell you.

jmontgomery said:
I don't own one but with the low prices I've seen I've been thinking about buying a TA30 head.

I love mine, it's great if you like Vox tones. I had a combo for a whlie, then sold it to buy a head. I wish Mesa would come out with an updated version like they did with the Royal Atlantic.

Back