TA-30 Shutting down when switching to 30 or 40 watts

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrPretto

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this forum, and this is my first post. To make the story short, I bought a second hand TA-30 Head (my first Mesa branded amp), that I have linked to a Bogner 2x 12 cabinet with Celestion speakers (G12 H30 Vintage series 30 watts + G12 Blue Alnico 15 watts), and it was working normally with the 15 watts mode.

Until recently that I decided to switch to 30 or 40 watts, and the problem appears: In high power mode the amp shuts down itself after less than 5 minutes of playing in those power modes (30 or 40 watts).
What do you think is the problem and what should I do? I love my TA-30 amp, and I hope I can solve this problem with your help.

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Hi DrPretto
I’m also new to this forum, so from one new member to another I say welcome to the forum.
I also picked up a used TA-30 Head use recently and it’s working out great for me, so sorry to hear that you are having issues.
When looking in the manual I see that when the amp is set to the 15 watt setting it only use two of the EL84 power tubes, however when switched to the 30 or 40 watt settings all four power tubes are used.
I think the first option would be to try replacing the existing power tubes. With it being a used amp it’s hard to tell the conduction of the tubes. Hopefully it's just old tubes and not a bigger issue.

drumrm said:
Hi DrPretto
I’m also new to this forum, so from one new member to another I say welcome to the forum.

I think the first option would be to try replacing the existing power tubes. With it being a used amp it’s hard to tell the conduction of the tubes. Hopefully it's just old tubes and not a bigger issue.

Thanks my friend, I was also thinking about replacing the Power tubes, looks like that is the answer since it is working normally at 15 watt mode.

Back