Royal Atlantic: Now with MORE MANLINESS

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elvis

Reaction score
I have been struggling a bit to get that beefy bottom end from my RA100, despite running a RA2x12 cab and turning bass up to 3:00. It's been good, but I want great.

It occurred to me that
1. I bought it used
2. I always run it full-bore and then attenuate as required, even at home

So I put in a brand-y new quad of EL34 plus a PI. Rehearsed last night and the low end was OVERWHELMING. It was big, big, big. And great mid saturation as well. Like a new amp. It freakin' thunders.

Awesome! Have to ask, what PI did you use. That could be affecting things as much or more than the power tubes, depending of course on how "shot" your old tubes were. Did you just drop a Mesa/same tube replacement in the PI or did you mix it up?

I'm ordering some Sovtek 12ax7 LPS tubes to try. I've ready an aweful lot of guys say they were their favorite PI tube in many different kinds of amps, so I figured I'd try some in my Mesa and PRS amps.

I thought about using an LPS - I have a couple laying around. But I just put in Mesa tubes and called it a day. I'm not much of a tube-roller, though I had good luck with a Tung Sol 12AX7 in V1 of my Mini Rec, so I may do the same with the Royal Atlantic.

I'm not in a hurry, though. The Royal sounds amazing on both clean and vintage channels now.

I've been a big fan of a Tung Sol in V1 in the amps I've tried it in, as well. I need to get a few more because I still haven't tried one in my Mini Rec or my Mark V25.

Now that I have new tubes and stable settings, I was able to listen critically to my tone at rehearsal last night. OMG the RA100 sounds incredible! It plays very well with my effects and it is just crushing when I want, and soulful and singing when I need. The two Vintage voicings are quite complementary, and clean is big and articulate.

My setup:
G90 Wireless
RA100 Head, all Mesa tubes, EL34
RA2x12 cab with V30 and Creamback 75
G System in 4CM with OD808 and BBPre in the loops
CabClone to FOH

The LPS may not do much for the RA100, it will brighten it up a bit. What I found to be the most dramatic change was the Mullard reissue EL34. I love these in the RA100 Combo. They seemed a bit too much for the RA100 head and 412. It depends on what you are driving. Mesa recto 412 will sound bright vs the combo which has a bit more darkness to it. I prefer the Mesa 12AX7 with the 412 cabinet but like the LPS with the combo. At the moment though, I have LPS tubes in the PI spot on all of my Class A/B amps (RA100's, Roadster and Carvin V2MC). I have also used other tubes in the PI spot but prefer either the Mesa or LPS. I have several JJ ECC803s tubes I bought recently, I should try one of those as a PI tube.

Back