The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:34 am 
Dual Recto

DWAKO wrote:
I'm honestly quite content with the clean channel, it's the gain channels, mainly Vintage Hi, I would prefer to have a more open top end glass/presence. Of course I come from using a Mark V and Stiletto which are naturally quite bright. But the tube layout is super helpful in knowing where it's best to invest my money. Thanks! If I do end up purchasing some speakers, I'll be sure to record the differences.

Man, you've been playing amp swap quite a lot, huh? I'm pretty sure I've seen you with a Recto, a Mark V, an Electra Dyne, and the Royal Atlantic. I personally find holding onto my Recto and my Electra Dyne to be quite useful. Also, having a few guitars with different pickup configurations is helpful as well along with my boost pedal!

The Tung Sol sounds great in v1 for a recto but I don't know if an RA or Electra Dyne would benefit from that.

What sort of pickups are you using? Tried a boost?

On topic, I hear the G12H - 75 sounds killer when blended with a v30. It's honestly half tempting to try it out.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:59 am 
Mark III

Quote:

DWAKO wrote:
I'm honestly quite content with the clean channel, it's the gain channels, mainly Vintage Hi, I would prefer to have a more open top end glass/presence. Of course I come from using a Mark V and Stiletto which are naturally quite bright. But the tube layout is super helpful in knowing where it's best to invest my money. Thanks! If I do end up purchasing some speakers, I'll be sure to record the differences.

Man, you've been playing amp swap quite a lot, huh? I'm pretty sure I've seen you with a Recto, a Mark V, an Electra Dyne, and the Royal Atlantic. I personally find holding onto my Recto and my Electra Dyne to be quite useful. Also, having a few guitars with different pickup configurations is helpful as well along with my boost pedal!

The Tung Sol sounds great in v1 for a recto but I don't know if an RA or Electra Dyne would benefit from that.

What sort of pickups are you using? Tried a boost?

On topic, I hear the G12H - 75 sounds killer when blended with a v30. It's honestly half tempting to try it out.

Yeah a year or two back I did a bunch of swapping and trading of amps to more or less just try a bunch of different things and honestly learn what I like. All of those amps have qualities I love, the Mark V is still one of my favorites. But at the end of the day I have had the Royal for a while now and I'm sticking with it. It combines the best of everything that I like better than any amp I've tried so far. I've just never really dug into speaker/tube swapping. So it's something new to learn about, and I want to get the most out of the Royal. I've always liked Tung Sols, you really can't go wrong with them. I'm happy with my pickups, still using the BKs thanks to you Yellowjacket, the Rebel Yell bridge and Painkiller Bridge are my current favorites, I really dig the Nail Bombs as well, both Alnico and Ceramic. I've used the V30/G12H-75 combo in a 4x12 cab before, sounded great. But I'm mainly using 2x12s these days.

2009 Mesa Electra Dyne
2012 Mesa RA-100
2012 Mesa Mark V
2007 Mesa Stiletto Deuce II
2014 Rectoverb 25 Head
PRS Archon 50 Head

Current Amp:
2014 Mesa RA-100

Guitar Cab:
Mesa Road King 2x12

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:39 am 
Single Recto

Just for fun, I did run the RA100 Combo though a single speaker (that was currently housed in my Mark V combo amp).

First up was the Jensen Jet Blackbird 100W Alnico speaker: Not bad on the clean channel, actually sounded amazing as I did not expect the difference to be that dramatic. However, the blackbird is too dark of a speaker for the heavy mid laden signal of the RA100 as the blackbird speaker is very close in frequency response as the EVM12L speaker. I have those too but did not like the RA100 with the EV speaker.

Second up was the Celestion Cream Alnico 90W speaker: I was hoping for a difference in tone from this one. However it too sounds sonically similar to the EV and the blackbird but with more emphasis on the lower to middle midrange. I actually prefer it with the Mark V combo as it remains tight on the bottom end with higher gain settings on CH2 and CH3. I will have to try it again once I break in the speaker. Still prefer the G12H75 Creamback as I like that gooey think tone and yet retain clarity I can dial in with the Hi gain setting. The G12H75 Creamback is that much different than the Celestion Cream Alnico as the G12H75 seems to have a bit of scooped tone but yet responds quite well with the RA100. The Celestion Cream does not hold back on its full range of tone so you will get tonal emphasis where you may not desire it. Speaker choice is subjective so perhaps the Celestion Cream Alnico 90W would be different in your application. I have not tried the Cream in a sealed enclosure so that may be quite different in character than it is in an open backed combo amp. I am assuming it would sound similar to the RA100 Combo as that is not completely closed off either but not as open as the Mark V.

Royal Atlantic Combo, black face (Cream back G12H75)
Mark V combo (Cream 90W Alnico)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:39 pm 
Single Recto

After a few days experimenting with this and that... of course the G12H-75 Creambacks remained in my RA100 Combo, I wanted something different for the Roadster as well. Currently I have a mix of V30 and EVM12L which sounds ok, better than all V30 or EV's in an oversized Recto cabinet. I will be moving onto the next step and getting two more G12H-75 creambacks (8 ohm versions ) to pair up with two V30's and hope for the best. I did spend some time with the Roadster head sitting on top of the RA100 Combo, The Creambacks sound much better than I first thought with the Roadster than they did after changing a few preamp tubes in the DR. I prefer the way the Creamback G12H75 are made in comparison to the Celestion Cream Alnico 90W, other than the paint and magnet driver, it is the rubber gasket on the Creamback (looks more like cork) that is better for sealed cabinet vs the waxy stacked paper gasket used on the Alnico Cream. Getting a good seal with the stacked paper gasket is difficult (issue I had with the EV as well as the Jensen Blackbird). Also the rubber gasket acts as a damper on the baffle vs the hard paper. Also, you can remove the speaker if it has a rubber gasket and it remains intact on the speaker vs half of it peeling off and sticking to the baffle board as paper gaskets tend to split after they have been compressed. I can't wait to get them and hear the difference to the all stock recto cab I recently bought to match the RA100 head.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:05 pm 
Single Recto

Bump.

This amp is still sweet. I had compared the combo with the Creambacks to the head driving the Horizontal 212 cab. Also tried the Horizontal with the combo speakers (at 4 ohms). WOW! that was ideal. Not sure why it took me this long to compare the Horizontal cab with the RA combo. Must have been preoccupied with something else. I actually prefer the Horizontal 212 over the OSR 412. Actually both are great with the RA.

Yeah, I still play though my RA's even after getting the JP-2C.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:16 pm 
Mark IV

I've had mixed results with the Royal but one of the best rigs I ever played through was a Royal Atlantic combo but with a Mesa 2:90 poweramp taking the slave out and feeding a pair of 4x12's and using a Rocktron Intellifex for some stereo delay. So it was basically a W/D/W setup. It simply sounded incredible, of course dragging all that anywhere would be a huge PITA.

http://soundcloud.com/danieldowning

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:30 am 
Single Recto

Hey Danyeo1, I listened to your soundcloud recordings. They were all great.

The RA100 is a class on its own. Not quite Marshall sounding and not quite Mesa sounding. The Creambacks in the combo give it more of a vintage vibe. I just could not bond with the V30 in an open back format. They were not bad but seemed to lack the same character when they are in a sealed 212 cabinet. I did have the V30 back in for a short while so I could compare the combo to the horizontal 212 cab. If the combo was a sealed back like the Roadster combo is, I would have left all as is. The same could be said about the Creambacks. Not bad in a sealed OS recto cab but seemed to lack what I was getting in the open back combo. I did not care for them in the OS 412 with the RA100 head as much as the V30 loaded 412.

One of these days I will get the TC-50 but for some reason I am holding off for what may come next in the series. Actually I am considering another drum set so it is either $2k for that or 1.7k for the TC-50. Hard call for me.