The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:18 am 
Mark III

After trying a ton of different amps, buying and selling (owning both Mark V's and RAs multiple times, even tried out the PRS Archon) I've finally settled back on the RA. At the end of the day my issues with the RA were all guitar/pickup related and not the amp. With the right guitar it sounds good on any setting and is super dynamic. It does the high gain thing, but the saturation is so organic yet still retains a nice tight low end. Not that you need them, but it takes pedals well (the ones I've tried), and the cleans are ridiculously good. It offers a lot of versatility and features many other amps in its class do not. I'm super happy with it.

A V2 RA intrigues me if it is in fact a possibility. I wonder what direction they would take it? They most likely will change the voicing of the drive tones to contain a more glassy top end response, they should leave the cleans alone considering how much people rave over them. Whether it's true or not it's fun to dream, but as of right now I'm super happy with my RA with no intention of letting it go. The only amp I would consider switching out with IS an RA V2, and only if it is notably, significantly better.

All that said, buy one. You won't regret it.

2009 Mesa Electra Dyne
2012 Mesa RA-100
2012 Mesa Mark V
2007 Mesa Stiletto Deuce II
2014 Rectoverb 25 Head
PRS Archon 50 Head

Current Amp:
2014 Mesa RA-100

Guitar Cab:
Mesa Road King 2x12

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:27 pm 
Donating Member

I love my RA, though I'd really like a smaller, lighter form factor. A 50W version that sounds essentially the same but has a bit less weight with two rows of knobs to get into a 23" or narrower size would give me a lot of flexibility for gigging with different cabs and not hurt my back quite so much.

2x Recto 2x12 Vertical

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:48 pm 
Dual Recto

They did forget to mount the casters on the head by the way. Blame it on the huge OT. If it was an ultra light, it would not be a tube amp. A 50W option would be kind of cool.

Mk III (blue stripe), Mark IVb-WB

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:54 pm 
Donating Member

bandit2013 wrote:
If it was an ultra light, it would not be a tube amp.

I get that, and most of what I love about the amp comes from the fact that it is big glass/iron. I don't want ultra light so much as just not ultra heavy. Dropping 4" of width and 10lbs would be a big deal. Sure, some guys want the look of a full-size head on their 4x12, but not me. It does look great sitting on the RA 2x12 cab, though :twisted:

2x Recto 2x12 Vertical

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:42 pm 
Mark IV

The only single pair big bottle Mesa amp currently is the Express 5:50 so hopefully there is something coming in this size and with EL34.

I would really like to replace my Express 5:25 with a similar in size and weight to a 5:50, like an RA-50 8)

Express 5:25 1x12 combo
JCM800 2203
Deluxe reverb reissue
Traditional 2x12, 4x10 and 23" 1x12 cabs.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:13 pm 
Dual Recto

The RA100 shell is a bit on the huge side, it could have been made smaller but that would not reduce its weight by much. I was worried the head would not fit on a slanted cab. It does not matter how large or small it looks to me either, just as long as it performs well and does the job for many years down the road.

Also I was tying to be funny, but having no sense of humor does not do me any justice.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:57 pm 
Mark IV

Your caster comment made me smile.

I would expect that getting rid of the attenuator, two bottles with with slightly smaller iron and shortening the cab and chassis would cut 4 to 5kg. That would make carrying the RA-50 up a few flights of stairs so much more tolerable. The Stiletto Ace head does weight about 5kg less than RA-100. I do like the Ace, if it's clean channel was as good as the RA, ED or LS I'd be using one.

Express 5:25 1x12 combo
JCM800 2203
Deluxe reverb reissue
Traditional 2x12, 4x10 and 23" 1x12 cabs.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:03 pm 
Dual Recto

There has never been a moment that I did not enjoy playing though the RA100. I would agree that the guitar does make a difference. I have several to choose from and there are a few that just ring out the right flavor of this amp.

The following are all Carvin Guitars (actually the only other brand of guitar I own that is not a Carvin would be a Martin 12 acoustic)
Bolt C (SSS loaded with Seymour Duncan Everything Axe pickups), body wood Black Limba with maple top, 5 piece maple and walnut neck with maple fret board. Bolt C (HSS loaded with Lace Sensor Hot Golds), body wood Alder with maple top. Same neck as above. Both would be classified as super strats, probably would not like them as much without the Floyd Rose. CS (similar to Les Paul) mahogany body and neck (more than likely chambered) maple top, ebony fret board. I have also played a friends Mexican Strat and sounded great once you get past the pickup noise. I also have similar DC400 (neck though type strat body, maple neck and walnut body. I personally prefer the bolt neck type guitar though both the RA100 and Roadster.

Generally I play without any effects except for the built in spring reverb. However If I am going to mix this in a project I will use a delay in the loop and on occasion I will also pull out the Mesa 5 Band EQ if that works out.