TA-15 no effects loop, how do effects sound in front of her?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam D'Agosto

Reaction score
Hi.

Anyone with first hand experience, please let know what you think.

Being that the TA-15 does not have an effects, how do effects sound when hooked up in front of the amp? The primary pedals I use are chorus, phaser, flanger and delay. I also use a clean boost, but that always does well in front. I don't have a reverb pedal, but I'd be curious about your experiance with that one too.

Is not having the effects loop are real disadvantage or will those effects sound good if place right after the guitar and then into the amp?

Thank for the guidance.

Adam

I use a TA-15 (with two 1x12 Lonestar cabs) as a backup/alternative to my Lonestar Special 2x12 and I think it's an excellent amp. I've never actually used any effects in the loop of any of the amps that I've had that have them because my most frequently used effects are gain/boost types which sound better in front of the preamp stage, and most of the amps I've had have had built-in reverb. Obviously the TA-15 has no reverb so I got a reverb pedal to compensate for that, and I recently replaced that and a couple of other pedals on my board with a Line 6 M9 Stompbox Modeller.

The main issue with running effects into the preamp is with reverb: if you're using higher levels of preamp gain it will distort the reverb which makes it sound mushy and nasty. For nice cleans this isn't a problem, and generally with the TA-15 I'll turn the reverb off if I hit the Channel 2 Hi 1 Mode, which is the one I use if I want amp dirt, otherwise I'll use a one of my drive/boost pedals into Channel 1 Normal Mode.

I think the TA-15 takes pedals very well. With that being said I use reverb, delay, vibe and a boost in front of mine. With the reverb and delay it sounds great but for my crunchy sound I only drive the preamp a bit and get the rest of the dirt from the power amp. I'am not sure if it is this or not but if I go from a clean channel to a channel I run like this it amplifies the reverb much more than the clean channel, there for I set the reverb for the crunch channel and just have less on my clean. It does the same with the delay. It isn't a problem with the TA-15 it is the same on my orange amps also. It does take pedals well though.

Latest posts

Back