How noisy is the hi/lo modes of your RA?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dad Love Mom

Reaction score
I'm trying to gauge what is considered normal. I tried a RA out yesterday and it seems a bit noisier than what I remember about the amp.

Thanks.

Mt RA 100 head has some noise IF the attenuators are all off.

If I just add the first step of attenuation to my clean channel, it seems to clean up most of this noise.

I seem to recall it increasing with the level of reverb added.....

So I think it is related to teh reverb/attenuation.

No biggie though, LOVE my amp!!!!!!!

The reverb in the RA is noisy if you are playing quietly, but as the volume goes up the noise stays constant. I usually only notice when I am not playing. The higher the reverb setting the more noise. My reverb setting is usually below 11:00.

If you do a search there are threads here where some guys have had success reducing the noise by changing the reverb driver tube and moving the reverb tank cable.

Yup, same here - reverb adds a little extra noise with no attenuation - but I pretty much always use the multi-soak feature so I don't really notice much noise at all - one of the quieter tube amps I've ever owned/used.

I have noise on all channels, more so with higher gain settings (love the clean channel when it gets dirty).
Noise is present with or without any instrument plugged in, with or without reverb too. It is typical power supply noise and is common with most if not all tube amps unless you have a noise gate on the amp. This issue may be related to the impedance of the power tubes as I have noticed a difference in noise levels with different power tubes. Seems to be more pronounced with EL34 than the 6L6 option but still present either way. I too use the power soak most of the time, but often like to feel the music as well as hear it so I will go all out on occasion. Sometimes changing the PI tube may reduce the noise level to some degree. I do like the tone of the Mesa 12AX7A for the PI tube but I have also had good results with a Sovtek LPS (long plate) for the PI. I will have to put one back in the RA100 and listen for a difference in noise levels.

Back