Considering the Matching 412 Mesa cab for RA100

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandit2013

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I have had my RA100 for almost a year. I have been using a traditional sized 412 cabinet with the original V30's that I pulled out of a Recto Cab that I am using with another amp. I could go to the trouble and swap speakers but that task would be cumbersome since I sealed the EV speakers and cabinet. It would probably take about 5 hours to remove the EV just to pop in the V30's for a hearing test. I really do not want to risk it since it took me some time to get the cab just right. If I blow a speaker, that is one thing, but just for trial and error is not worth the task.

Question to those that have used their RA100 though a standard (oversized) Recto cab: Would it be too boomy? Is there a good reason not to get the larger cab other than cost? I would prefer a good quality cabinet, the one I am using is a bit cheesy. I am okay with it as it does sound good but considering something a different. It seems to lack the bottom end.

My local shop had the RA paired with the over size 4x12 with matching salt and pepper front. Looked great to me and If I had the money spare I would have one.

That seup didn't sound at all boomy to me and I tend to notice as it really bothers me. It was a few years back now, but I turned the bass up quite high and was happy that the tone didn't turn to mush. My biggest concern at that time was if it possible to tame the overall brightness, but that didn't turn out to be an issue either.

I'm not sure if you will get the extra bass you want. The oversize cab should give deeper bass notes as it tuning will be lower than a traditional size, but it shouldnt really have more bass, just lower. In general, the RA bass response isn't pronounced like some amps and is not likely to excite low resonances in the speaker box. The Electra dyne though has a build in bass boost and can get very boomy.

All in all, a quick shop test should tell you if it will work for you or not.

I appreciate your response JJ.

Your answer to my question was what I was looking for. True the RA100 will not overdrive the low end with the higher gain channel. It does however take on a deeper tone in the clean.

Placed an order for the Cab. Yesterday I get a call about the shipping cost since the place did not have shipping options available online.
The person who called, was not the usual person I deal with. The individual must have been confused since he was attempting to steer me away fro the cabinet. Simply said that it was not a good match. The 240W cabinet is too much for a 100W amplifier and will not perform as good. WTF? I could have drilled the person with questions. Like what cabinet do you recommend for a 100W Dual Rectifier? Should I use only 50W cabinets to make a full stack? It took a bit of convincing to keep my order as is and do not want any substitutions. Perhaps I need to check what planet I am on to verify that a 240W V30 cabinet would be fine with a 100W RA. I did tell him my current cabinet has a 1200W capacity (4EV x300W = 1200W) and is perfectly fine with a 50W carvin V3MC that has a quad of EL84's or the 90W Mark V operating at 10W mode. Why can I not use a 240W Recto Cab with a 100W Mesa amp? :shock: What's up with that :?:

I knew I was in for a long evening, but I did it any way..... now I have to put it back the way it was... :|

Not sure what came over me, but was noticing a buzz coming from my oversized cab I converted with EV speakers. It was driving me nuts... I did this some time ago for use with the Mark V. And now I am using a much darker amp with the cabinet: Roadster. Certain notes played would make this buzz and it sounded like it was coming from the bottom right speaker, but uncertain if it was tube rattle influencing the signal, something under the floor (ventilation ducts), it has improved with the casters in place but still present. Same thing would occur if I channeled the RA100 to the cabinet. Too many what if's. Removal of the speakers would be a major task, why I sealed the speakers to the baffle board is beyond question, if you ever get an idea to use RTV sealant to seal a speaker cab, thing again about that before doing. It took a few hours just to remove the two bottom EV speakers from the cab. I figured I would swap them for the V30's I have in a traditional sized 412. When it was all said and done, I tested the end results and was amazed how the traditional sized cab sounded with 2xV30, 2XEV with the RA100. Holy Crap it sounded huge and without sounding too deep. On the flip side, once I installed the two V30 into the Oversized Recto cab an rewired the speakers, hooked up the Roadster and it sounded terrible. Way too bright. Also did not fix the buzz either. This time I was on my hands and knees trying to find out where it was coming from. You have to be kidding me... it was the footswitch :evil: The bloody thing was making the noise? Also discovered the Mark V footswitch also does this but not as noticeable. I would not recommend mixing V30 with EV black label in an oversized cab :( but I will recommend doing such with a traditional sized cabinet :p . Now I have to put the speakers back to where they belong. :|

getting way off post here. So I will not go to far off track (one can only hope, right?)

Before removing the 2 EV speakers from the smaller cabinet, I wanted to hear the difference with my other amps, Roadster and Mark V (did not try the Mark IV). The V30 and EV combination really made a difference with the RA100 but to no surprise did not sound all that great with the Roadster or the Mark V. The combination had too much emphasis on the high frequencies. So much for that. After returning the EV back to the Oversized cab and the V30 to the traditional sized cab I soon discovered more mechanical issues with the OS Recto cab. It did not matter what speakers I had in it, still had the low frequency buzz which was more pronounced with the low A string. This was more than just the footswitch vibrating. I did not install the grill at this time as I was uncertain if it was the grill or something else causing the audible noise. Sure enough discovered that the angled baffle board was the cause. If I applied pressure in the area just below the top speakers at the center, the noise would go away. Figured I would remove the post (was not very secure to the bottom baffle board anyways, was only held in by nails), as expected the noise got much worse. The beam or post sits in a milled out pocket similar to a mortise and tenon joint and appeared to have little or no glue. Since I planned on re-seating the post this time with glue and a few screws it had to be removed anyways. One I had it in place and secure, I did one more thing, cut a 2x4 to proper length and secured it on top of the beam such that the top baffle would also benefit. At least I eliminated the annoying vibration, cabinet never sounded better actually. One thing to consider, think twice before you open up a sealed cabinet since it may not be the same after reassembly. I would not do this to a new cabinet either. Mine is 14 years old and sat without use for most of that time. Also at the time I bought it (new) it was less than half the cost of the same cabinet today. I did not like the V30 from day two, after bringing it home and playing though it, I found the MC90 in the Mark IV combo sounded better, however both still had issues at moderate volume (flubbyness and breakup that sounded terrible). So why did I get another oversized Recto anyway? The RA100 is the only excuse here. I do like the tone of the traditional size cab with the V30 but it lacks a bit of depth. So I do not mind repeating my mistake I made in 2000, but this time I am quite familiar with the V30's and also have the patience to break them in. As for the smaller 412 with the 14 year old speakers, I will find a use for it, actually sounds incredible with the Mark IV.

Had to open it back up for picture. Note the RTV sealant around the speakers, do not do that.... The bottom pair were freed from the sealant but appears as if they are still sealed. Speaker gasket and frame is sufficient enough. White stuff was latex sealer I used on some of the joints I thought were causing issue. Way off the mark there. Actually the cabinet sounds much tighter, just slightly brighter. The make shift support effectively creates a 4x4 that will alter the resonance of the cabinet so some extent. All I was trying to do was cure the buzz and got more instead. Palm muting with the Roadster and a moderate gain with sufficient bass no longer seems to drone, now cabinet is punchy like it should be. I wonder how this would have worked with the V30 and not changed speakers to EV?

PB030053_zpsaf13cfd7.jpg

enough said about the 14 year old cabinet. Now I am on the waiting list for the Matching cab. Wonder what the lead time will be? I did ask but could not get a straight answer.

One last note on the mod I did on my existing recto cab, first time the RA100 sounded great with an EV speaker. The dominant bass tone was no longer an issue. Hopefully this will not be required when I get the new cab, but at least I have a means to tame the boom if it seems to be too much. It transformed the oversized cabinet to sound more like a traditional sized cab.

I will wait for the new cab to arrive before jumping to this conclusion.

The cab I ordered came in early. I did not expect it until February 2015.
If my first cab sounded this good I would not have changed the speakers. There are some differences between the Oversized cab I bought 14 years ago when compared to the one I just received. The side handles are recessed into the side panels as is the connection jacks on the rear. Also the cab came with a cover where as the other did not. WOW, :shock: this cab sounds incredible. No flub, very tight bass, full bodied tone all the way from clean to heavy gain, and best of all no high frequency beaming. The Hi/Lo channel never sounded better. Also plugged in the Roadster to it, very impressed. Did not sound like a blanket thrown over it like it did with the smaller cab I loaded the original V30's into. I am tempted to get another for the Roadster and use the 14 year old with the Mark V or Mark IV. I still like the EV in the old recto cab. Have to run the full stack for more enjoyment. My original opinions on the oversized recto 412 are no longer valid. This cabinet sounds amazing! :p Guess I should try it out with the Mark V. I would definitely recommend the Standard Mesa slanted 412 for the RA100. Not boomy at all.

PC020007_zps654b93d7.jpg

PC020008_zpsd120db2f.jpg

Awesome, that setup looks so good. Glad your happy with it.

Out of all the mesa cabs I have tried the oversize 4x12 always seems work so well.

I'm looking to buy an MV:25, which sounded fantastic at the shop and just realised I only tried it with the oversize 4x12. Am starting to think what I really want is the cab. Currently all I Have is 1x12 and 2x12 cabs besides and old Marshal 4x12 that don't use (G12-T75).

While I was in Nashville over the Thanksgiving holiday, I tried out a Mark V though one of the Mesa 2x12 cabs at the World Music store. It sounded really good. I did not push it to get the full effect though like I would in my home. However, with the Mark V:25 you may be better off with a 2x12, at least carrying it would be less of a burden than the 4x12. I am sure the Mark V 25 sounds great though a 412. It does matter on the quality of materials and construction that makes a difference. The RA100 is a perfect match to the V30 speaker.

Generally I've been liking the sound of 1x12 and 2x12 due to being able to push the speakers harder. I'm thinking maybe it's the dispersion of the slant 4x12 I like, it just seems fill the room. With the smaller cabs I always seem to have to mess around to find the sweet spot.

Went and tried the vertical and horizontal rectifier 2x12 cabs today as well as the Thiele 1x12. The vertical cab just doesn't work for me, but the horizontal one isn't bad. My favourite 2x12 is the old Stiletto which I think is now called traditional. The Thiele is surprisingly good and sounds much larger than it is.

May still get a 4x12, but as you mentioned I don't really want to move one around so it would almost only be used at home.

Back