Tube suggestions for TA-15

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MusicMan89803

Reaction score
Just picked up this little guy a couple days ago from a friend. It still has the stock Mesa tubes, but I would like to replace them all. I'm looking for suggestions on which tubes will give the amp a clearer, warmer tone on the cleans and more balls and gain on the drive channel. I understand the tubes will only change it so much, but every little bit helps. I've been recommended Sovteks and Tung Sols from someone local, but he has never used this amp.

If you want to change it a bit, my suggestion is to call or email Doug at Doug's Tubes, and tell him exactly what you just said. He'll suggest the tubes to maximize the tones you want from it.

I believe the stock 12AX7s are JJ ECC83s, and the EL84s are Sovteks of some sort, probably the EHs.

From experience, my personal recommendation would be JJ ECC803s (not ECC83s) in V1 and V2 (first two tubes from the left). Normally I'd go NOS Sylvania in V1, but if you're looking for a warmer green channel, the 803 should do it. The other two preamp tubes will have less of an impact, so I wouldn't replace them just for a tone change. The 803s would do fine as functional replacements for V3 & V4, or the Tung-Sol RIs if the V1 and V2 replacements give you as much (or more) warmth as you wanted.

For the EL84s, the JJ EL84s are a good choice. The EHs are warm but a little muffled in the midrange, IME.

If you wanted to spend a bit more, I'd recommend a pair of NOS Tungsram EL84s. They have teh balls, and KCA has a great price on them. As for NOS preamp tubes... NOS Mullards would be down your alley, but honestly I don't think they're worth it in an amp like the TA-15, which is a modern amp designed more around new-make tubes. Mullard RIs would work too, but I strongly prefer the JJ ECC803s.

That being said, resources like Doug or KCA are great as well, like Dreamtheaterrules mentioned. Definitely worth getting the free opinion when you order.

Hope it helps!

EDIT: Whups, just realized this was an old thread. :p

Don't apologize for bumping an old thread in the TA section. Nobody talks about them much so they are ALL old thread. :D

I love mine! I am going to have a hard time deciding which to keep (15 or 30). These are great amps!

Back