RA100 in 50W mode, better than I expected

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandit2013

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I have had the RA100 for at least 5 months now. It was an Ebay find. Did the usual with a used amp, all new tubes. Also reused my V30's that I removed from the larger Recto 412 cab in favor of EV. V30's in a traditional sized cabinet can't be beat with the RA100. Most of the time I have been using the 100W mode. Sometimes I will use the power soak (set to -3db) and most of the time I love the raw power of the full 100W. I decided to change it up and explore 50W performance in more detail. The Hi/Lo channel never sounded better, actually with the less headroom in 50W mode really impressed me. Why I have not done so earlier, not sure. I guess I am learning you do not need to go all out to get great tone and gain structure. I still have to try this amp with SED =C= 6L6GC's , I am currently using SED =C= EL34. Maybe today I will pop in the NOS Svetlana GT6L6R-2 (same as SED = C= 6L6GC but produced in in the 90's or earlier, not exactly sure date of manufacture).

I prefer mine in the 50 watt mode. Love the Blue channel, can just stay there in Blue all day, Clean and Red are just bonuses for me :D

I pretty much always run in 50 watt mode as well - I think the amp overall sounds a little smoother compared to running at 100 watts. I think 50 watts w/ a little power soak can't be beat!

Seems I'm the odd one out here, I the extra aggression of 100 watt mode better. With my ED and Express I prefer the lower power options which seems to go against the grain there too.

Occasionally I will switch over to 50 watt mode and it does seem to have a little more soul and sweetness, but it usually isn't long before it's back to 100 watts.

Having said that, I don't normally use the attenuator.

JJ - you're not alone man - I got a chance to crank my RA today in 100 watt mode and I'm now back on the "100 watt team" haha. I was rockin' along with some Alice in Chains and **** did sound great. I switched over to 50 watts and was uninspired... I totally agree that 50 watts is sweeter, but I forgot how much more aggressive the RA is in 100 watt - even when I finally turned it down to bedroom levels I still preferred 100 watts - but who knows I'll probably always go back and forth depending on my mood...

Yeah, I guess we are spoilt for choice and that's the beauty of Mesa amps, a great many options. Personally I love having the choices.

100 watt mode works for me right down to bedroom volume too. The master volume allows a great volume range from quite to super loud which helps. My ED by comparison does sound decent quiet, but the master is very on off making it a pain to get right.

I've just realised I've had my RA for 2 years and haven't GASed for anything else in that time. It even still has all stock original tubes.

Cory, what is the guitar in your signature picture ? It looks fantastic.

I normally stick with the 100W mode. Unfortunately, the RA100 did not cure me of another amp and neither did the Mark V. The sound of the full class A/B of the RA100 was the fuel for another amp that bridges the gap between the Royal Atlantic to the Mark V. I opted to finally get a Roadster head. Sweet apple pie :shock: Definitely covers the vintage tone to full modern quite well. I can dial in similar tone of the RA100 all the way to the Mark V extreme.

My favorite thing about the RA100, Power Soak. Set to -3db and 100W mode. Having a nice rich clip on the clean channel is heaven. Sounds just as good with the Hi or Lo gain too.

J.J - thanks man - that's my newest baby - it's a 2013 Gibson R9 in faded tobacco. It's my first historic - by far the best Gibby I've ever owned/played. Gibson Custom builds some amazing guitars - it is flawless. It's actually kind of a curse because now I don't even want to play my other guitars, and I'm actually thinking about selling most of them off to fund another Historic.

I've had mine about 1 1/2 now - still using the stock tubes, and still not really gassing either - well, maybe a little bit for the new Friedman JJ Jerry Cantrell sig head - but they want like $3500 for just the head :shock:

Latest posts

Back