TA15 vs. TA30 How do they compare?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamtheaterrules

Reaction score
Yes, I can already hear you saying to yourselves, "But DTR, don't you have both? Why are you asking us this question?" (You didn't know I could hear you thinking that, did you? LOL) But, my TA30 is down for repair. I'm just wondering who has compared both and your thoughts on how they compare. I love my 15. My brief auditions with the 30 though, make me think it may sound not just louder, but even better, in some modes. I have had a couple brief tests with the Vox and Tweed modes that sounded fantastic! I mean GREAT tones. I'm anxious to see how the boost function affects the Marshall and Boogie voices. And obviously, how I can intigrate Delay, Verb, Chorus, EQ, etc. in the loop.

I find the power voices to really open it up on 30 and 40 watt modes. I also find the verb to be VERY powerful. In fact, I wonder if something is wrong with it because barely turning it up at all (like even 8:30) is a LOT of verb. I can barely crack it open and it's "enough" for most things.

Haven't tried the loop yet as I had the problem on initial launch and have just had a few quick trouble shooting tests since then. Going in to be fixed some time this week. Just wondered what to expect when I get it back and working properly. I will probably be selling one of the two TAs (because I'll eventually be getting a Mark V). I play a lot at home at lower volumes so even the 5 watt mode on the 15 has some great tones for that. Just wondering what others who have tried or owned both think on how they compare.

I can not really answer your question as I have no experience with the TA30, just add a question. I an totally smitten with the Tweed mode in 5 watt class A mode, It would seem logical to me that thing I love most about this amp would be lost in the jump to the TA30.
Is it????????????? Does the lowest power setting on the TA30 retain the class A vibe of the TA15 in the tweed channel?

I will answer once my TA30 is repaired. I will add this, I am completely in love with Hi1 in the 5 watt mode on the 15. This is my bedroom volume rock tone and it sounds great!

This is going to be very quick. After a very lengthy stay at the repair shop, I got my TA30 back yesterday. I only had about 35 minutes with it last night, and at home. So please add all necessary "honeymoon" and "first impression" disclaimers.

When I could turn the amp up, this amp sounds absolutely huge. The Vox channel with the 15 and 30 watt settings sounds very authentic and VERY nice. The Fender sounds great and on 45 watt really sounds like a big fender amp. The Marshall is great.

Last night I only had it plugged in to my 1x12 Recto cab and 1x12 Avatar, both with V30s, and I only played my PRS NF3. The combination of the NF3 and TA30 could probably cover 90% of any tones you could ever want with no pedals. Seriously, and not just cover them, sound fantastic covering them.

Tonight, I'm going to switch to what should be even better speaker matches (1x12 Emi Wizard and 1x12 Emi Red Fang Alnico). I expect the Vox tones to kill with this setup. Also I'm going to throw my loop at it. Dreamscape>Flashback>Arena> MXR 10 band EQ. That should up the fun quotant as well.

Anyway, first impression is that this is a killer amp. Somone playing clean to classic to 80s hard rock would be hard pressed to do better in one amp than the great tones this thing has!

More to follow after more testing.

Night #2: WOW!!!!! This is a GREAT great guitar amp! I have still not plugged in any pedals (except a little Barber Compact Tone Press) or even tried any other guitar.

Tonight, TA 30>1x12 Avatar Eminence Wizard, PRS NF3 some CTP and nothing else. No boosts, no verbs no ODs, no delay, no EQ, just guitar into amp with a bit of comp.

The Wizard (G12H copy) is a great overall match for this amp. All modes seem to work great with it. The Top Boost, Tweed and Hi1 modes are all fantastic! I got killer blackface tones with volume up, B and T up, and gain down, 40 watt mode. Roll up a bit more gain, roll down B and T and really nice Tweed tones. Hi1... Without even plugging in an EQ to tune it, I'm getting great lite crunch to JCM800 type tones depnding on gain and tone control settings. 40 watt mode just kills with Hi1 when opened up a bit.

Right now, I'm absolutely in love with this amp. If I can get it to sound as good at a bit lower volumes as it does when opened up, this will never leave! If you can open it up a bit, it is really that good

After a few days with the 30, I can see now my biggest problem will be deciding which of the TA's to sell. The 30 can sound HUGE with 2 x12s. But the 5 watt mode on the 15 is killer for home playing. I'm going to try some things in the loop when I get back (fishing trip to Canada) and see how that influences the choice. Right now, I can tell you point blank, I am going to HATE having to sell either one of these amps. But I will eventually need the money from one of them to help fund the new Mark. :wink:

So far, both. The head to head testing has just began recently. I moved some amps around to get them together so I can A/B them with the same cab, but can try various other cabs and guitars.

So far, the 30 is winning, and not just for the "given" advantage (the loop). So far, it clearly just sounds bigger to me. More horsepower, bigger iron, and it shows. As much as I love the 15, and I really do, SO FAR, the 30 just sounds bigger. Also, I think some of the settings just sound "better." The Vox and The Tweed channels both sound bigger and better. Part of this could be because my 30 was just gone through by a tech, and got some new tubes. Not the "bigger" part, which is pure horsepower difference, but to me it also sounds a bit better.

Also, it's almost unfair to throw my Arena, Flashback, JP, and 10 band MXR in the loop. The Arena sounds killer in the the loop of the 30.

Size, weight, etc. would go to the 15 of course.

So far, advantage 30. At twice the price, you'd hope this would be true. I still think the 15 is a STEAL for the mid $500 range you see them going for used. But I can't imagine a much better gigging amp for a classic rock guy, than the 30. It nails some great Vox and Fender tones, and does a very good Marshall and Boogie as well. Heck with modelers. Get a real tube amp that sounds great and get's classic Vox, Fender, Marshall and Boogie tones!

Back