TA-15 (H2) vs Studio .22+ (Lead)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mesa.22

Reaction score
I have a used TA-15 coming in next week. This amp just looks way cool feature-wise and I had to try one. After years of using big iron, I've come to the conclusion that 10-20 watts is all I need to play small venue gigs and at home.

I played a Mk IV combo for 20+ years as my #1, sold it a few years ago and went another way. I just got tired of lugging around an 85 lb combo, it had to go. I started to miss the Mesa sound so picked up a Studio .22+ combo (half the weight of a Mk IV) last year and did the lead gain mod. It's now very usable and does not have the typical hiss problem common on .22's. The clean channel is just killer on the .22.

So for the TA-15, I have several cab options. The most obvious is a 1) Mesa Thiele/C90. I bought this in the 80s and used it with the MK IV. I also have an 2) Avatar 1x12 open back with a Celestion Alnico Blue @ 15w. I use this cab with a Morgan AC20 Deluxe head (23w) and it really gives that Vox chime that we all enjoy. I also have a 3) 60s Bassman 2x12 with V30s @ 4ohm. Given the TA has a 4 ohm tap, I plan to give this one a try. Finally, I have two 4) Marshall 1965 cabs, A&B - 4x10's @ 8 ohms. I love these cabs, they sound great with anything ya throw at 'em and they are lightweight enough to gig with. So, as you can see, I have quite a few cabs to choose from.

Anyway, how well does the TA-15 capture the Mesa MK lead tone (H2) compared to the .22 or a MKIV? I'm quite familiar with the MK lead gain tone and I'm wondering what to expect from the TA-15.

I have a DC-3, which is from the same era and family as the .22, and a TA-15. To my ears, the TA-15 is not even close to the same dirt as the older amp. It is, for lack of better words, less "raw".

Congrats on the amp. I love my TA15 so much I bought a TA30. I'm picking it up in the next few days.

I can't comment on how the Hi2 compares to Mark tones as there are 5 "Mark" amps, numerous revisions of each model, and about a million tones associated with the "Mark" name. I know that Hi2 is a very good tone and is definitely a MESA tone. What speaker you use makes a big difference from there. And you'll quickly discover there are a lot of great things in there other than Mesa lead tones.

Thanks for the replies guys. The TA-15 is en-route and I'll do some A/B'g this weekend.

Mesa.22 said:
...So for the TA-15...60s Bassman 2x12 with V30s @ 4ohm...

FWIW, this is my cab choice, and it sounds fantastic, clean (Normal) and driven (H1). 8)

shimmilou said:
Mesa.22 said:

FWIW, this is my cab choice, and it sounds fantastic, clean (Normal) and driven (H1). 8)

Good to know.... that cab gets very little use since my Bassman head is my only true 4 ohm amp. I'll def give it a try.

Congrats on the amp! Mine is my favorite amp ever, and is a perfect match for me personally to the point that it feels like it was tailor made for me. Hope it matches you as well.

The H2 mode doesn't seem to have quite the amount of gain as H1 but it's close. H2 has a slightly mellower tone than H1 so it might just be that. Mellow is a good word to describe H2, but some edge can probably be dialed in if desired. I dig playing leads in H2 because of the mellowness, the notes have very vocal, vowel-like qualities and sound great when manipulated, and the swirl seems to be most evident in that mode, and it's really really evident. The amp has swirl in many situations and I love that quality!

I've tried my TA-15 with a Celestion Creamback H75, a Celestion Gold and a Scumback M75 65w amongst others and I think I prefer the Creamback H mag thus far. That Creamback H and the Scumback M are both going into a 2x12 I have and I plan to drop the Gold into the 1x12 I have, but I might end up buying another Hmag speaker of some sort for it instead (Creamback or Scumback not certain yet).

Mesa.22 said:
shimmilou said:
Mesa.22 said:

Good to know.... that cab gets very little use since my Bassman head is my only true 4 ohm amp. I'll def give it a try.

I gave this a try tonight.... winner. :D I like it. Runs at 4 ohms and can rip your face off. Cool.

Back