Royal Atlantic 2x12 Combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diddlydan

Reaction score
Ive read every royal atlantic post on here and im on the lookout for a used one at the min but im just wondering what the opinions are on the 2x12 combo?I know its going to weigh a tonne but how does it sound?Is this the kind of amp more suited to a 4x12 or a large 2x12?For gigging ill be going with a 2x12 or maybe the combo so im just curious.Thanks

I don't think I have even seen the 2x12 combo, but I'd be seriously surprised if it didn't sound fantastic.

I'm running a traditional 2x12 cab with my RA and love it. The 2x12 is quite a small cab and it generally sounds fantastic, but can get a bit boomy in some rooms. I suspect a slightly larger 2x12 would be more consistent. 1x12 and 4x12 cabs that I have seem to work very well.

For gigging the weight of the combo was certainly a deal breaker for me.

What kind of music do you play ?

Hey,thanks for the reply.I play a bit of everything to be honest,some heavy alternative rock to clean ambient stuff like pink floyd.I might have a good deal on a used 2x12 combo which would work out cheaper than a head and 2x12 combo.I wont have the chance to try before i buy unfortunately so im trying to gather as much info, including the negative before i commit.My only concern is that it might sound a bit small as a 2x12 combo might not have the fullness of a head and 2x12 cab.How are the cleans on the royal?From what ive read they seem to be pretty good but its so hard to judge youtube vids.Are they full sounding or are they more on the thin side?If they are slightly thin a combo probably wouldnt help so a larger cabinet might be the better option.Also how well does it take pedals?I have wamplers velvet fuzz which i like to use for some lead stuff and i use a lot of effects so its important that it takes them well.Im 95% certain ill love the distortion though.Thanks for your time mate.

I'd say the cleans are a little towards the thin side, think Mark Knofler. There is plenty of bass so I guess it naturally has a bit less in the mids. Turning the gain down helps to fatten things up if needed. Using the power soak will also help to shape the tone. Overall the clean tone is fantastic even with the EL34 tubes, I'd sum it up as sweet sounding. For comparison the ED has a very powerful hard edged clean that always reminds my of SRV. With the RA and ED my Fender Deluxe reverb just doesn't get used.

On the gain side, it easily covers heavy rock and extends to metal. Santana type tones are available without needing any additional help.

The combo is a 3/4 back type cab and while it will sound different to a closed cab I don't think anyone would describe it as small sounding going by the other 2x12 Meas amps I have tried. If you want a really full sounding amp, the ED, even as a 1x12 sounds massive.

Im not really a pedal guy, but do run a few. Delay and chorus in the loop and a wah and tube screamer up front, it all works great for me. Hopefully others that use drive pedals can give you more on that side.

About the not thing Im not wild about is the reverb. It's good, but not fantastic. Most guys here seem to agree the reverb isn't awesome. It does give a 60's British blues vibe, but isn't lush and deep like say a classic Fender. I'm tempted to get a good reverb pedal instead. About half the time I use slap back type delay to get the ambience I like.

Back