RA100 with Alnico Golds and Creambacks

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garrettdavis275

Reaction score
Hey all! New here, been meaning to post for awhile but work's been crazy, y'know? I've had my RA100 for about 6 months and have used it with my Greenback (reissues, not the Heritage) 4x12 and a 4x12 with Alnico Golds on top and G12H-75 Creambacks on the bottom. Both are wonderful matches to this amp and I'm sure a bunch of you already know that about the G12M's. Wanted to spread the word that the new Creambacks are absolutely fantastic and an unreal mate to the Royal. Not as mid-scooped as an H-Anni, not as mid forward as a V30. Just a really beefy and smooth driver that you could throw into any setting with the Royal I can think of and get pro results. The Alnico Golds I was curious about for a long time and have found match really well with this amp for anything clean to mid gain. They're a little smooth to me on the high gain settings but are my clearcut winner for any kind of classic rock application. If you live on the blue channel (as I do) then the Golds are perfect. I dunno if you could say at $300 a pop that they're "worth it" but if you're looking for that Alnico kerrang and aren't sure if the Royal will match well with these, fear not. They're delicious. On another positive note they mix really cleanly with the Creambacks and blend well so you don't get any weird frequency overlaps that you can get from the occasional x-pattern or speaker mix. Just a full bloomy kind of tone that doesn't flub or pierce and enhances every bit of the RA100's stellar tone. Thanks all, if you've got any questions shoot me a PM, I work 70+ hrs a week but will try to respond as soon as I can.

BTW, Emi Wizards weren't a good match for me, kind of obnoxiously forward in every register when I tried them. Awesome for other amps tho. And I'm waiting for a cabinet to put a Governor/Swamp Thang x-pattern into because I think they'll be the cat's *** for more aggressive styles. Take care guys!!!

Garrett

Back