Got a TA 15 and LOVE IT!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamtheaterrules

Reaction score
I got a TA 15 yesterday. I currently have the following 1x12 cab/speaker combos. Asking for opinions on what to try first with the TA 15. I have...

Mesa Mini Recto cab/V30
Avatar Cube closed / Eminence Private Jack (greenback type)
Avatar Cube closed / Eminence Governor (V30 type)
Avatar Cube closed / Eminence Wizard (G12H type)
Egnater Tweaker cab/ G12H
Lopo open/closed convertible cab / Emi. Wizard
Lopo Closed / Emi Private Jack
custom made open back/ Eminence Red Fang Alnico

I'm thinking... try the Red Fang Alnico with both Channel 1 voices, and Tweed. Private Jack with the High 1 Marshall, V30 cab with the High 2 and possibly a Wizard/G12 H for all around. Eventually I will sell some of these and get the matching Mesa cab with the more neutral Black Shadow in it. But I may also consider a 10" cab for this as I'd like to tone down the volume a bit at home. Plus, I'm going to try some higher end speakers (Scumback, etc.) soon. Also, I can mix and match any two of these cabs.

Thoughts from those who have tried it with other speakers? 10" speaker recommendation for down the road?

Congrats, DTR! Welcome to the club.

I have spent most of my TA15 time with a Celestion Gold, which is honestly difficult to beat if you want cut and sparkle from just about any amp. I have one in my LSS 1x12 combo, and another one in my Lone Star 19" 1x12 cab. That 1x12 cab is an interesting item because with the wrong speaker (like the MC90 that it ships with) it can sound really boxy and small. However, the Gold just brings that cabinet to life. It basically becomes the ultimate grab-and-go cab, it's lightweight and it sounds amazing with the right speaker. The Transatlantic 19" 1x12 is very similar -- I believe it's an inch or two shorter -- so I would expect it to respond very similarly to the LS version.

I've also used the TA15 with a WGS ET65 in my LS 23" 1x12, and that also sounds terrific. It's slightly smoother, in a good way, perhaps slightly darker than the Gold but it will handle pretty much anything you throw at it and it sounds awesome. I haven't tried it in the smaller 19" cab, but it rocks in the 23.

I tried the TA30 initially in the 1x12 combo format, and it sounded really good with whatever speaker it had... which for some reason is hard to ascertain at the moment. I think the C90 can sound ok, if it's in a cab that's not too constricting for it.

I have no experience with 10" speakers.

Let us know what happens! Enjoy that amp!

I demo'd a couple of TA-30s recently and they both had MC90s. Sounded like the "right" speaker to me at the time.

djw said:
I tried the TA30 initially in the 1x12 combo format, and it sounded really good with whatever speaker it had... which for some reason is hard to ascertain at the moment. I think the C90 can sound ok, if it's in a cab that's not too constricting for it.

Yeah, I think you're right. It did sound good, and it makes sense because my 23" cab came loaded with the MC90 and I almost kept it in there because it sounded very good right out of the box. But I can't leave well enough alone, so I swapped it out...

dodger916 said:
I demo'd a couple of TA-30s recently and they both had MC90s. Sounded like the "right" speaker to me at the time.

djw said:

Thanke DJW, i love this thing so far!!! Not nearly enough time yet for conclusions, but the first impressions are great.

When I started I was looking for a little guidance with what worked better for different modes and tones, from guys who had been using this for a while.

So, now I have some thoughts for you. OMG, OMG, OMG!!!!

That's the sound of a guy who just spent an hour with his TA15 and a 1x12 open back with a Red Fang Alnico!!! I need to throw in a "Holy Crap" here for good measure.

I tried both Vox channels with all three wattage settings, and with gain from 1/4 to cranked. Some of the best, most authentic Vox tones I have ever heard! It just killed. Anything from clean Vox to scream Vox. At any volume level I could want. The Tweed... Simply killer. Again, any wattage setting, and any gain level from Champ-ish to big fat cleans to grindy cranked Tweed tones. Just great. The Marshall? Killer vintage Marshall tones from barely clean to screaming! My time was up and I hadn't even gotten to the Mesa voice.

If you haven't tried a good alnico speaker with your TA, TRY IT, and prepare to be blown away.

This amp is KILLER!

Next up, the Private Jack

ok, well I was/am excited about it. :D

So, I'll keep this review shorter. The Eminence Private Jack worked very well with all the modes. Since I'm talking to myself, that should be enough detail for now. :lol:

Your Mileage my vary. Consult your physician for erections lasting over 4 hours. Especially if they are caused by your guitar amplifier.

Guess this is old news, huh? Ok, since I'm apparently late to the party, I'll just have a little TA party by myself. I'll be over here in the corner jamming if anybody needs me. :lol: :lol:

Glad the TA is working out for you, mate!

I've got a local "Farm Aid" type gig here on Saturday night, and....I *might* get to borrow a TA 30 to run in stereo with my Mini Rec.

Stay tuned... :wink:

Back