T/A 30 versus DC-3?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dodger916

Reaction score
Ithaca, NY...10 sq miles surrounded by reality!
Greetings.

I've always been a fan of Mark amps and earlier Boogies in general. I still own a C+ and Mark IV, but I've been tending toward smaller amps that don't need BIG volume to get The Sound, as the Marks are too loud for rehearsal and most gigs we do. I've been playing through an Orange Dual Terror for a couple of years, and the volume range (30/15/7 watts) is good for getting some power tube drive given my rehearsal and gig venue volume needs, but I miss the crisp articulation and flexibility of a Boogie. Plus, the Dual Terror is a bit limited in its tone palette, but it's great at what it does.

Wandering back into the "Boogie fold", I recently picked up a T/A 30 head from a dealer on a 30 day trial. I loved it at first, but there seems to be a midrange honky-ness that's hard to dial out. It's starting to bother my ears. I'm wondering if the power tubes are shot, but there are no other audible indications of that. I tried different speakers (V30, C90, EV12L, MS-12), but the bloom is off the rose. So now given my recent attraction to EL84 amps and my long-standing admiration of older Boogies, I'm beginning to wonder about a DC-3. As a point of reference, I played a Studio 22+ a couple years ago that I thought sounded great. I play in a cover band that does mostly 80's and 90's dance stuff, with some country and classic rock throw in, so I need a pretty versatile amp, mostly rock-n-roll oriented. I like an articulate yet slightly crunchy rhythm sound; think early 80's Keith. I'm drawn to the DC because of the dual channels and eq options, and I'm hoping it will have some vintage Boogie/Mark bite to it. The T/A has some truly great sounds, but it just seems a bit "sterile" to my ears, especially compared to the older Boogies. I never liked the F series or the Express series, even the new ones with the eq.

So, before I return the T/A 30 to the dealer, is there anyone out there who has experience with both the DC-3 and T/A 30? Or, has anyone else experienced the T/A honky-ness I'm experiencing? Maybe my ears are just getting old! :shock: I posted this in the Caliber series sub-forum as well.

Thanks again,

Frank

Frank,

I cannot comment on the DC3 or the TA-30. However, have you tried a Mark V? the amp can be very tame and controllable in the 10W mode. I have the head version and play through a 412 cabinet. I did try out the Mark V combo, and noticed the volume control is quite different than with my Mark IV. (I know the head is the same as the combo but my first experience with the Mark V in combo form was enlightening. ) Just thought I would throw that out at you to consider.

As for the EL84 amps in general, I found it a bit hard to get used to them. I have a Carvin V3MC but needed some TLC in the tube department along with speaker changes ( I do like the Carvin speaker but for a small combo and small size of the enclosure, it sounded more like a V30 in an open back 1x12 (V30's in my opinion sound best in a sealed cabinet or if open or ported, cabinet must be deep). As for the TA-30, I believe they tuned the circuitry around the tone of the V30, I was impressed with the RA100 though speakers I was ready to toss out, glad I did not. All that was needed was a proper sized cab for the speaker. Now I think they sound great. Just for a point, the RA100 did not sound good at all though a large 412 with EVM12L Black Label (the Mark V sounds the best, followed by the Mark IV though the same cabinet. What would probably work out for you and the TA-30, try it though a 2x12 cabinet. I had the same issue with the Carvin V3MC, very honky in tone, and it did not matter what speaker I had in the small cabinet. However, driving a 412, or the on board speaker with a 1x12 deep cabinet the end result is amazing and no more honky. I have found that most combo amps with a single 12 inch speaker seem to be lacking something, except for the Mark III, that had some interesting tones as is and really did not need anything else.

I appreciate the response, Bandit. My rig includes a Mesa 1x12 open back cab atop an EVM-loaded Thiele. I tried a C90-loaded ported Port City 1x12 on the Thiele, and it sounded less honky, but I prefer an open cab on top. The Dual Terror (4xEL84) does not sound honky at all. The open-back TA combos don't have the honk, and I didn't notice the TA sounding this way when I first brought it home. I'm wondering if this honkyness is a function of tube wear as I didn't notice it at first, but I did notice it after last week's rehearsal, and it really disturbs my ears; worst ringing in a loooong time.

If you are the owner of the amp, you have a few options to consider. Tubes will change in tone character when they begin to wear out. Since the amp is a fixed bias, you may get different tonal qualities from the various tubes. Reflektor company that makes Tung Sol, Mullard, EH, and Sovtek may be good resources. I like the Mullard EL84 in my Carvin V3MC but I can adjust the bias in that amp. There is also TAD EL84-STR (made in china but don't let that bother you, I have had some great tubes from Tube Amp Doctor). I believe the Mesa branded EL83 are the Electro Harmonix version (I could be wrong). I do know the EL34 are from EH since I have both Mesa and EH EL34 which are not much different from each other in tone. When it comes to the EL84, different beast all together. I would review comments on tube websites or search for reviews on EL84 before getting replacements. Like most current production tubes, some are good and some are not. For NOS, RFT seem to have better price, over Siemens and Tungsram (Ei). IF the Amp is still under warranty, buy replacement Mesa tubes, also if the amp is not yours do the same. I would mention this to the person who has loaned the amp to you. Perhaps they will be willing to replace the tubes.

Maybe put an eq in the loop? It may just be that the TA-30 just isn't for you. I encountered this with an Egnater Rebel 20. Everyone raved about how awesome it was, but I just couldn't bond with it. I don't own the TA-30, but I've seen videos. I've played a Deluxe Reverb for so long I can't play an amp that doesn't have a similar clean channel.

Good suggestion, Hollis. I thought about that, and I might try it, but I'm trying to simplify things. Thanks.

Hollis said:
Maybe put an eq in the loop? It may just be that the TA-30 just isn't for you. I encountered this with an Egnater Rebel 20. Everyone raved about how awesome it was, but I just couldn't bond with it. I don't own the TA-30, but I've seen videos. I've played a Deluxe Reverb for so long I can't play an amp that doesn't have a similar clean channel.

Does your TA30 get a hum/static/white noise when you engage the reverb, that gets more pronounced as you turn up the reverb?

Mine 112 combo does and it's a pain. I played a 212 and it didn't seem to be as bad. I'm not sure if it's my unit or not.

No. It's quite quiet, except when the Cut control is engaged, but I've read that's typical. It's a very good amp on the whole.

willrocks said:
Does your TA30 get a hum/static/white noise when you engage the reverb, that gets more pronounced as you turn up the reverb?

Mine 112 combo does and it's a pain. I played a 212 and it didn't seem to be as bad. I'm not sure if it's my unit or not.

Back