NAD! Well, not yet...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ifailedshapes

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been contemplating which amp to get this year, and after looking at all the options I was considering, it occurred to me that I hadn't even considered the TA-15. Well, lo and behold, I think it might be the one. With Guitar Center blowing them out, I really don't have an excuse to not try it. I do have a question, though:

Does anyone here use the channels as two different clean pedal platforms? I plan on using channel 1 as a Voxish clean and channel 2 Tweed for a fatter, more Fendery clean, and then investing in a couple nice overdrives for the rest.

Also, what are you guys liking for speakers and cabs? I'm kinda leaning towards a Gold, but man, that's an expensive driver.

Thanks for your input!

I change things up periodically depending on what's on the pedalboard, but generally I run both channels fairly clean so that delays and reverb don't sound too crappy through the amp. Certain dirt pedals I have work well with a Fender-voiced amp, and others prefer a Marshall voicing. So, depending on what I have on the board, I'll either run channel two on Tweed or Hi1, but not with much gain at all.

As for cabinets, my personal favorite with the TA-15 (of the pile that I have) is a Mesa sealed back/front ported 1x12 with a C90 in it.

Could you compare the front-ported widebody cab to an open-back cab? I love the airiness of open-back cabs. Do you get any of that back with the port, or is it still thumpy like a closed-back?

It's pretty thumpy. I have an open back as well, but the closed back seems to give the little amp a little more "oomph". If I plug into the open back without first using the closed back, it sounds just fine.

you might what to check out "white box cabs". they make a couple cabs that you can change from closed back to ported to open back with removable panels. that way you don't have to settle on one, you can experiment and go with what works for you. as for speakers I like the celestion black shadows that come standard with ta-30 combos, as well as most all eminence speakers.

Back