Second RA100 Impression /NAD (used)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandit2013

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I wanted another run with the RA100 but this time I did not have to drive anywhere, the amp came to me instead.
Just finished re-tubing the amp. When I first powered it up and checked it out to make sure it was in good working order, it seemed a bit dull or lacking some power. Not confirmed but it appears that one of the Mesa EL34 was not as used as the rest due to lack of film formation on the glass in relation to the square window cuts of the plate. 3 tubes had this, one did not. No matter, at the same time I brought the amp into the house my tube order came from the TUBE Store. Since I did not celebrate Christmas (home alone with the cat and dog), it sure seemed like opening presents today. Even though I knew what I was getting, still had some enjoyment. There are more details and pictures I posted on the Carvin website. You can follow the link below. :shock: yeah I said Carvin. I like their guitars. There amps are okay too, I was considering a V3 but decided on something completely different, Mesa Boogie RA100.

http://carvinbbs.com/viewtopic.php?t=40190

I really love this amp. I can get lost for hours. For only a two channel amp ( not sure if Hi/Lo make it 3 channels) I can really get some great tones. Power soak is nice for the clean channel. I am in AWE. It would be a very difficult choice if I had to choose the RA100 or the Mark V. I would be very happy if I had either. I am overjoyed since I have both and I get to keep them. :p and to boot I have been able to get the Mark IV combo set up that competes with both. The Mark IV with the Fane Speaker and oversized 1x12 ext cab with Eminence Tonker Lite (had to give up the V30 for the RA100 cab.) has an incredible clean channel sound which is natural, dry, almost acoustic guitar tone without the need for effects. I like the lead channel too, but for that acoustic sound the Mark IV is unbeatable. If I get another amp I may as well put a hole in my head :shock: not that kind of hole :roll: :p

I was getting bored with the KT77, they sounded good but just did not seem to have the same bite as they did in the Mark V. I decided to put the SED EL34's back in since they sounded great despite the rattle I got in the clean channel. I also had a NOS RFT 12AT7 to replace the Chinese Mesa tube. For V1 and V4, I used an old Mesa Chinese (square getter) 12AX7A, V2, V5 and V6 are the current production Mesa 12AX7 (JJ tubes I believe), V7 Sovtek 12ax7LPS (seems to work best as phase inverter). Now that is a winning combination of tubes. CH2 Hi is incredible, it is perfect. The lo setting is not bad either. Clean on the other hand is okay, I favor the Mark V for the cleans, The Mark IV comes in at a close second. However, the RA100 does make a great edgy tone in the clean channel. If it is dialed in just right it sound really great with a strat type single coil arrangement. I primarily use CH2 Hi at 100W no attenuation. This amp is great but will not replace the Mark V in its versatility. Due to its simplicity, it is a fun amp to play though, easy to dial in. Still wondering what this amp would sound like with a 5 or 10 band EQ. So far I do not think that is necessary.

Back