Anyone using the RA combo?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordybaby

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a used RA combo and am wondering how the open back sounds. I've
Never had great luck with open back cabs. I do own an Electra dyne combo that works but I am looking for advice because I can't try before I buy. I like classic rock tones on the heavier side.

It's not bad. The Electra Dyne/Royal combo box is really only partial open. It sounds more like a closed cab to me. The Ed in particular has a lot of thump to it. My friend had the Royal combo and it was decent in combo form............it really KILLED in a W/D/W with 2 4x12's.

The other guitarist in my old band played a RA -100 combo. I play a Deluxe Reverb. The clean channel wasn't quite as nice as my Deluxe, but the gain channel yielded some of the best overdriven tones I've ever heard. Dirt pedals sounded a little better through my Deluxe, but that doesn't matter when the gain channel sounds so good. He ran several time-based effects in the loop, including an Axe-fx II and the loop performed flawlessly. The only real issue we had with the amp was when we moved it. This is the heaviest amp in the world lol. At approximately 100lbs it's a beast. The power soak feature works great, allowing you to knock off a few dB. The RA -100 is a great amp. If you don't mind the weight I say go for it, especially if you have found a great deal. Me personally, I would try to find a head/cab. Either way it's a really good amp. Like I said, the overdriven tones are just killer and the only dirt pedal you'll need is a tube screamer type pedal to push it over the top. Hope this helps and good luck!

Latest posts

Back