Does the TA30 have a good Fender like clean channel?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tremolo arm

Reaction score
I have an Express 5:50+ and love the clean channel. However I really need the portability of the TA30. It seems like the Vox voiced channel is fantastic, but how about the clean "Fender" channel? Is that any good and is there a lot of headroom at high volume?
Thanks

I had a TA-30 head. I gave it up for an Express 5:25 Plus. I would say the TA doesn't have a Fender Clean channel. The "clean" channel is Vox-ish, with one mode even called Top Boost. It isn't fender-y at all in my opinion. The second channel is the gain channel and it is more Marshall voiced. Personally, I couldn't get anything like a Fender tone on that amp. I find the cleans on the Express Plus to be more in the Fender lineage. While both are EL-84 loaded, the Express clean channel is very much more in the traditional Mesa tone range. I'd say if you wanted smaller and were interested in the fender-y clean search, I'd look at the mini recto. I suspect those cleans are perhaps closer than the TA.

The Tweed setting on the red channel is very much in Fender territory. I can get my TA-15 to sound pretty darn close to my Deluxe Reverb.

The normal mode gets some nice cleans, but it's more Vox like than Fender like. However, in the tweed mode on channel 2, it's definitely in Fender territory. Really depends on what type of Fender clean tone you are after...

My TA-30 head has an awesome Fender Clean tone in Tweed mode and the 40 watt setting. Dial up the master vol and turn down the gain. Sounds great with a Jensen Jet Electric Lightning or an Eminence Commonwealth. The first channel in normal mode is a very clean and harmonic Vox with similar control settings and in 30 watt class A mode. Of course, the overdrive settings are awesome. The best amp I have had including many old Fenders. The TA-30 is a musical instrument.

babow2 said:
I had a TA-30 head. I gave it up for an Express 5:25 Plus. I would say the TA doesn't have a Fender Clean channel. The "clean" channel is Vox-ish, with one mode even called Top Boost. It isn't fender-y at all in my opinion. The second channel is the gain channel and it is more Marshall voiced. Personally, I couldn't get anything like a Fender tone on that amp. I find the cleans on the Express Plus to be more in the Fender lineage. While both are EL-84 loaded, the Express clean channel is very much more in the traditional Mesa tone range. I'd say if you wanted smaller and were interested in the fender-y clean search, I'd look at the mini recto. I suspect those cleans are perhaps closer than the TA.

Not trying to be a jerk. That's rather curious....TA channel 2 first mode is "Tweed" and it is very much a fender clean voice. And... I have a Mini as well and the cleans are nowhere near as close to Fender as the Tweed mode of the TA is.The Mini has nice cleans but much stiffer. The TA Tweed setting is warmer and loser than the Mini cleans... hmmmm..

There are many different flavors of Fender Clean. If your looking for Twin Reverb kind of undistorted head room no it dosen't have the power to do that you won't get Mike Bloomfield Further adventures kind of tone form it, If you love some Tweed Deluxe or Tweed Baseman kind of edge of break up sweet spot you'll love this amp, Tweed mode 5 watt class A is addicting . This is not a high power high head room amp unlike most Boogies were the gain/dirt is in the preamp and the power section stays clean. I think the design philosophy on this is more like the Blue Angle were you can crank it and get the output tubes cooking. If I want Fender cleans I have A Twin for that. IF I want Tweed Flavor I have this and a four ten enclosure that's just heaven to me. I've never tried a side by side comparison with my deluxe reverb but I'd agree in 25 watt setting the Tweed is close with a Twelve inch Gauss in a Bag end cab it pretty taught ship does country picking really well. I think you'll find that what you get from the TA 15 is very dependent on what speakers you use with it. I can Get Three distinct flavors from it using the tens, the bag end or a Fender Vibro King Extension Cab With two Celestions that really rocks the Channel 2 Hi 2 mode . I was very pleased to learn that Tommy Castro has been using one of these in his live shows recently.

I've been playing through lodestar special or my deluxe reverb, but wanted something lighter with equal amounts of clean and crunch….the TA-30 hit a home run. Lot's of clean with great tone shaping for a more aggressive amp sound. I run the TA-30 head through a Suhr Badger 1x12. I love the combo.

babow2 said:

Well thats bizarre because mine had a switch on the right side that said "tweed" and yes it was a reasonable go at getting the fender sound.......but erm if you want the fender sound buy a fender amp
I sold mine because of the noisy reverb/FXloop and it had reliability problems. My tech repaired it but I lost faith in it after the third time on the bench. Too much stuff in too little space and then a fan to keep it cool. The reverb tank is underneath and hums like a mosquito on heat.
I must be a sucker for punishment as I just bought a TA-15 which I really like

Latest posts

Back