Royal Atlantic RA-100 head on the way.....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67mike

Reaction score
I have a Royal Atlantic on the way.....already have a Mark V combo and an Electra Dyna Widebody Combo.

Just wondering if the MC-90 speaker sounds good with the RA, or do you suggest the V30's?

:?:

All I have currently is MC90s.

Local guy has a mesa vertical 2x12 with v30s..

What speakers do you like with the RA?????

I really does depend on what you like and what you play.

Personally I don't like any of my MC90 cabs with the RA. I have a Traditional 2x12 with V30s that I do like a lot, but am in the process of changing over to Creambacks.

Does the RA head fit on the vertical 2x12" ? I don't think it will, but you will have to check the dimensions.

I could look for a v30 loaded cab I guess.

My Ed sounds fantastic through a c90......I was hoping I could use one for RA.

Since you have C90 gear and you like it, you very may well be happy using it with your RA. Id say try it out with what you have first and then decide if you need something else. I have an ED which I used with a C90 for about a year and it does do some things really well, but I rarely use that cab now as I am prefering others.

What I really wanted with the RA was a great British crunch tone and the C90 doesn't do that well. I find the V30 to "crunch" much better, but it can also be harsh with the RA. A Greenback speaker is even better, but thats what you would expect since that was generally what was used around the era of music I am most interested in.

What kind of tone do you want with the RA ?

Thanks.

I play mostly 80's rock and hard rock some metal.

Are greenbacks 25 watt celestions?

If so...guess you need a 4 x 12 with the RA-100?

Have you considered the Royal Atlantic 2X12 cab? It's got a 3/4 back, but it's not a flimsy kind of 3/4 back like Mesa's older 3/4 back cabs. And it's loaded with V30s. Mesa had one in stock the other day, and I snagged it. It's gotta go to Sweetwater first; then it'll find its way to me. Hope it sounds as good as it looks! 8)

67mike said:
Thanks.

I play mostly 80's rock and hard rock some metal.

Are greenbacks 25 watt celestions?

If so...guess you need a 4 x 12 with the RA-100?

Yes a regular Greenback is 25 watts. The new Creamback which is still a G12M is rated @ 65 watts. If you really want to crank your amp then you would need a 4x12 of greenbacks or a 2x12 with Creambacks. I have been using a 1x12 with CB for practice, rehearsals and even medium room sized gigs.

Greenbacks aren't usually the pick for metal. The V30 would be a better choice and it certainly can do rock hard rock and metal very well.

I'm mostly doing 60s 70s and 80s blues and rock from early Clapton in the Blues breakers to ACDC. Greenbacks work really well for that sound, but not as well for more modern tones.

talltxguy said:
Have you considered the Royal Atlantic 2X12 cab? It's got a 3/4 back, but it's not a flimsy kind of 3/4 back like Mesa's older 3/4 back cabs. And it's loaded with V30s. Mesa had one in stock the other day, and I snagged it. It's gotta go to Sweetwater first; then it'll find its way to me. Hope it sounds as good as it looks! 8)

I may just snag one.....or the 27" 1x12 cab looks good too...I know my Electra Dyne widebody combo sounds absolutely INCREDIBLE.

I don't have any experience with the C90's, but I really love the sound from my RA-100 head through my 2x12 recto vert cab loaded with V30's. They have a nice mid-range punch with a tight bottom end (I'm sure the bass response has a lot to do with the recto cab).

I special ordered my 2x12 recto vert cab (through Sweetwater) to have a matching grill - surprisingly it was only a $35 upcharge from the standard cab. Love the way this looks (and sounds)!

005_zps8d05fe0d.jpg

Cory said:
I special ordered my 2x12 recto vert cab (through Sweetwater) to have a matching grill - surprisingly it was only a $35 upcharge from the standard cab. Love the way this looks (and sounds)!

005_zps8d05fe0d.jpg

Actually...that is a Horizontal cab you have in the pictures.

I have a local guy who will sell me a new 2x12 vert cab with V30's for $400......I should probably snag it????????

Cory said:

005_zps8d05fe0d.jpg

Looks excellent! How does it sound?

Cory said:

005_zps8d05fe0d.jpg

Looks great mate !

Just to show it is a matter of subjective hearing, I happen to be in the minority who do not like the sound of V30's with my RA-100. I tried the matching cab and a recto 2x12, both with V30s. I find them too harsh and spiky for my ears. I found a pair of C90's also didn't quite nail it for me. Less spikey but not quite enough creamy breakup.

So, get ready for it..... I have an old 80's half back 2x12. After trying a variety of speaker combinations, what really rocked for me was an MC-90 in the sealed bottom and a Cel G12T-75 (out of a Marshall cab) in the open back top. The slightly creamier G12T seemed to smooth things out and the closed back side with the MC-90 added a nice presence and punch.

Okay, and I will admit the RA also sounds good through a widebody closed back 1x12 with an OEM EVM-12L. Much different sound and impact- it adds a lot of immediacy and punch to the sound, as if the Presence knob was up high (if there were a presence control. LOL). This is a totally different vibe, but pretty cool.

Anyway, I'd worry less about what the label/name is on the speaker and just listen.
Brent

I definately do NOT want spikey highs.

There is a guy local to me with a new Krank Rev cab (loaded with Eminence legends)......I am NOT very high on Krank products.....but I wonder if the legends would be less spikey than the V30's????

Back