RA-100 - the end of noise gates as we know it!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cory

Reaction score
Maybe it's because I switched over from a Marshall JVM410h, but man my RA head is super quiet - even with the gain cranked the background noise/hum is so minimal. My JVM was heavily modded to try to reduce the noise and feedback - I got it to a point where it was somewhat under control and I was able to deal with the noise without a gate, but every time I let go of the strings or didn't roll my volume knob on my guitar to zero, the feedback was instant and so "un-musical" (if that makes sense) - just loud, high pitched squealing. Back to the RA - first off I hate gates - I love using my guitar volume knob for different tones and I can roll my volume knob to almost nothing on the high gain channel and it almost sounds as clean as my clean channel - amazing! Even when I want a little feedback from my RA - it comes in gradually, and it actually sounds good (as far as feedback goes if that makes sense). I'm just loving the freedom from having to worry about unwanted noise and having to possibly run a gate. I'm in love, thank you Mesa! :D

Yep, was hoping that would stay an RA user secret to keep the unfair advantage :mrgreen:

Seriously, this is one of the reasons we pay the extra money for Mesa gear. Higher quality components with tighter tolerances, DC power to the tube filaments, careful design with attention given to circuit layout, pre screened and matched tubes, shielding applied in the right areas and post production testing all add up to low noise.

The way the RA will clean up when you back off the guitar volume and pick attack I really love too. I have struggled with quite a few other amps and OD pedals trying to archive this. Mesa have done a very good job of capturing classic British Rock&Roll and also paired it with an awesome clean tone that historically could not be found in the same box.

Thanks Mesa for the modern classic :D

honestly, I can't believe more people are not raving about this!? The RA is DEAD QUIET on the high gain setting... :shock: :shock: :shock:

J.J said:
Yep, was hoping that would stay an RA user secret to keep the unfair advantage :mrgreen:

Seriously, this is one of the reasons we pay the extra money for Mesa gear. Higher quality components with tighter tolerances, DC power to the tube filaments, careful design with attention given to circuit layout, pre screened and matched tubes, shielding applied in the right areas and post production testing all add up to low noise.

The way the RA will clean up when you back off the guitar volume and pick attack I really love too. I have struggled with quite a few other amps and OD pedals trying to archive this. Mesa have done a very good job of capturing classic British Rock&Roll and also paired it with an awesome clean tone that historically could not be found in the same box.

Thanks Mesa for the modern classic :D

Been through 3 Marshalls in my time - got rid of all of them for exactly these reasons. Noise, rattle and hum which I hate .. been with Mesa for 20 years, with zero regrets :D

Cory said:
...and the fixed bias - that's so awesome! Mesa is the best! :D :D :D

You mean non-adjustable fixed bias? You're liking the non adjustability of it??
I have a Stiletto Ace head. Another of Mesa's British sound forays. I LOVE it...except for ONE thing..the fact that if I want to run some sweet old British glass in it...well...I won't take that gamble with expensive bottles. I have parts coming to make the fixed bias adjustable like it is in most fixed bias amps.
I understand the principle and why an amp builder/tube seller would do it this way (non adjustable)..well both reasons...only one of which is to sell tubes..maybe more than two reasons too..most mesas like a very cold bias and clean 6L6 power section, people who may not really know what they're doing will be less apt to mess with a bias adjustment , probably a few more reasons too but for a British voiced amp, which WILL sound better with British tubes, adjusting the current is a must.

Speaking of tubes...you should try a couple of different 12AX7s in your unmusically feedbacky and noisy amps. Could have a LOT to do with the unmusical screech.
YMMV and FWIW. I'm just an old dog who loves old amps and oldschool biasing.

Ok, so I know I'm replying to a month old thread, but yes I like that it's fixed (non-adjustable) for the simple reason that I'm a hobbyist and I was getting sick and tired of taking my amp (Marshall JVM) every time I needed to change tubes, etc because it also needed to have the bias set as well. I love the simplicity of my RA - I can see how some might not like this but I really do! :D

Back