Using Effects Loop "Send" As a "Line Out"

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

relakst

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Just took delivery of a TA-30 single combo. While I do have some kick-axe mics, I thought I could take that placement-nightmare out of the equation by going directly to the board from the Effects Send.

Any thoughts on this would be welcomed!

Found this in the manual:
NOTE: If you intend to use the EFFECTS LOOP as a patch point – either for a preamp send (from the SEND jack) or a power amp input (into the RETURN jack) – you must have a plug inserted into BOTH SEND and RETURN jacks to open the circuit. You can just use a guitar cable and leave the other end hanging or a shorted plug… just so long as something is inserted into the unused jack.

While it can be done, it's going to sound terrible (or at least not sound like the amp is supposed to sound). So much of what makes up an electric guitar sound is the full amp and speaker. Just taking a line from the effects loop is not going to sound like the amp through a speaker. Distortions are going to sound very fizzy and unpleasant. Clean sounds might be OK, you'd have to try it and find out.

What you are talking about doing is similar to if you take a guitar into a distortion pedal and straight into a recording interface. By removing some of the key components (mainly the amp preamp/power amp and speaker), you are drastically changing the sound.

If you want to try to record the amp without using a mic, you will want to get a speaker simulator. There are more and more of these on the market nowadays, I think Pete Thorn recently reviewed a speaker simulator pedal which you plug your amp into. This will allow you to skip the mics and still get the correct type of sound from your amp.

Thanks for that info. I will check into it.
Meanwhile I have an Audio-Technica 4050 condenser on it right on the edge of the speaker. It sounds pretty dandy through the mains.

Back