Tubes for TA-15

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richpjr

Reaction score
I just picked up a TA-15 and am loving it. Just curious if anyone has done any tube rolling using something other than the stock tubes and what they liked. Or are people sticking with the stock tubes?

Hi richpjr,

I tried some Mullard reissue output tubes, but preferred the stock tubes, which I believe are EH, Mesa labeled. I also tried some Tung Sol preamp tubes, but again, preferred the Mesa labeled JJs. The amp with the stock tubes just has a killer chimey clean, and wonderful crunchy distortion. I liked the stock tubes so much that I ordered two complete sets of Mesa tubes just like the ones that I have. :D

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=63682

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=63767

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=63576

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=64058

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=52428

The power tubes on my used TA-15 looked burned so I got a pair of Mesa. The sound was more lively and clear afterward. I didn't want to mess with biasing power tubes or risking not doing it and the Mesa replcement pair is not too expensive.

For the preamp, I had Mullard reissue, Tung Sol, JJ, Groove Tube, and Electro Harmonix on hand. After trying each, I thought they all sounded good but each changed the character of clean tone and distortion as well as onset of breakup enough that I couldn't determine all the differences in one session. I kept in the Tung Sol and like it better than the well used stock tubes. I wish I had fresh Mesa to compare with. When I have the time i'll try a further test after living with the Tung Sol a while.

Hi Amonrae,

The stock tubes in mine are MB labeled JJs in the preamp and PI (all four positions). I like them better than the Tung Sol in this particular amp, and I am a fan of Tung Sol. The JJs have a better/crisper distortion on the Hi 1 setting, and nice chimey clean in the Normal setting. The preamp is plug and play, no worry about biasing there. I realize that sound is subjective, have fun rolling tubes. :)

hi shimmilou,
I know preamp tubs can last a while, but I think my well used ones are suffering, so I couldn't really compare with the factory set when they were in their prime. I think the main thing about the Tung sol i liked was where breakup occurred in the top boost mode. I haven't been using H1 and H2 as much so far. I'm driving the normal mode chimey clean with a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 in comp cut mode into an Empress Multidrive with low gain and then a Red Witch Famulus with low gain. It's harder to get back to the exact combination of settings with all those stages but I really like that chain through a Celestion Alnico Blue 12. I'm sure I'll be checking out the JJs in the preamp again.

I can see where the Tung Sol would be great for the Top Boost mode and the Tweed mode, both of which I don't use. That's one of the cool things about this amp, versatility for many varying tastes. Since the MB/GC "breakup", the MB amps are going for very reduced prices, and I'm tempted to get a second TA-15, and set it up for the Top Boost and Tweed modes with Tung Sol preamp tubes. $679 is very tempting. :D

Wow! $679. I didn't know they were available at that price. If I had the money...
It's Top Boost/Tweed for me.
I almost got an AC15 but Top Boost driving an Alnico Blue made me go for the TA-15.
I use Top Boost about 80% of the time. I like to use pedals but it sounds great direct too.
I'm picking up a used Wampler Black 65 pedal today to drive the Tweed channel with. It might be just what it needs to compete with Top Boost.
I'll let you know if I change my opinion about the best preamp tubes to use for my sound the next time I feel like testing. It also depends on pedals and speakers you use with the amp. Another factor for me is my sound levels are kept fairly low so I may not push the tubes as much as they need to get everything out of them.

Amonrae said:
For the preamp, I had Mullard reissue, Tung Sol, JJ, Groove Tube, and Electro Harmonix on hand. After trying each, I thought they all sounded good but each changed the character of clean tone and distortion as well as onset of breakup enough that I couldn't determine all the differences in one session. I kept in the Tung Sol and like it better than the well used stock tubes. I wish I had fresh Mesa to compare with. When I have the time i'll try a further test after living with the Tung Sol a while.

In what slot(s) are you using the Tung Sol?

Get you about 6 different 12AX7 tubes as well as a few lower gain tubes(ECC832, 5751) in different brands and swap out the tube in the V1 position. that is the position that makes the most difference tone wise. I love JJ's in every amp I own but that's me not you. Best thing is not to take anyone's advice but listen to your ear because no one else hears tone like yours truly.

Amen to that...

scull said:
Get you about 6 different 12AX7 tubes as well as a few lower gain tubes(ECC832, 5751) in different brands and swap out the tube in the V1 position. that is the position that makes the most difference tone wise. I love JJ's in every amp I own but that's me not you. Best thing is not to take anyone's advice but listen to your ear because no one else hears tone like yours truly.

Back