How can I add a loop to my TA15?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waygorked

Reaction score
I loved the TA15 when it first came out, as it pushed all of my buttons except for the effects loop. I picked up a TA30 combo when they were first released, and owned it for about 2 weeks before something in the loop switching blew up. It's replacement had a similar problem, causing me to bail on the project and bag a MiniRec instead. I love it, but I remained haunted by the TA's top boost tone.

Fast forward 18 months, and a TA15 fell in my lap for $500. Through a 23" TA cabinet loaded with an alnico blue, it sounds fantastic, even better than what I remember from my TA30. but I really, really need a loop. Given what I paid for this amp, I am not against modding it, assuming that such a mod is possible. I have seen a number of threads here and on other boards that imply that it may not be possible, but nothing definitive. Does anyone know for sure?

Assuming a loop mod is out of the question, are there any other options? I know I could drop $400 on a Bad Cat Unleash, which would certainly do the trick, and provide me with a ton of flexibility that I really just don't need. The price of that plus the amp gets me really close to a used TA30 head. Is there any other useful solution for an external loop that doesn't sound terrible and isn't crazy expensive?

I use the Unleash. It really is your best option. The best thing about it is you can set up your TA15 to its best tone regardless of volume, then set your volume with the unleash. I don't use it but you also have a second volume that's footswitchable.
There was one in thegearpage classifieds for $350 so if your patient you could snag a used one at a better price.

Hopefully this won't violate any posting rules, but this is the response from Mesa directly to my question on another forum:

Me:

Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm still wondering about the TA15 loop. Is it possible to add one to this circuit? Not possible to get Mesa to do it, but possible, period? I love mine, and love it more than the TA30 I used to own, but I really miss the loop. There have been a few posts on other boards that imply that there is something about the TA15 circuit that prevents loop implementation, however obviously that is not the case for the TA30.

So my question would be is there something different between the TA15 and TA30 circuits that makes it impossible to add a loop, or is the TA30 just more power plus a loop? If so, I need to get this done. I understand the warranty issue that would come with modding the amp, but honestly, your stuff is largely indestructible, and I'm not really worried about it.

MESA/Boogie:

The TA-15 was designed without a loop to stick to the lineage of the original circuit design, with the purist in mind. There is nothing about the circuit itself that makes it impossible - we're not offering a mod for it, but if you find someone who is able to do it - it will indeed void your warranty. It was decided to add the loop on the TA-30 - which goes back to your question about it being something in the circuit that makes it impossible. Its not, it was just a choice to keep the TA-15 closer to its lineage. Thanks!

I still maintain that the Unleash is your best solution. I'm using one on mine and couldn't be happier with the results. It would probably be more cost effective than paying to mod the amp.
BTW there's one for $320 on TGP so the prices used are getting more affordable.

Back