TA-30 Cut Mode Noise

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kguitars

Reaction score
Hi, a new TA-30(212 combo)owner here! I love the amp but when in cut mode(pushed in), the amp is super noisy. I mean really really loud! Has anyone experienced the noise? Thank you,

I found that the TA-15 on channel 1 is quite noisy, and called mesa to ask if this was an indication of a faulty unit, and was told that the design of that channel is a bit noisy, but that was the tradeoff for getting that tone. Keep in mind, when you are in cut mode, it is the same thing as having the volume turned all the way up, so any noise in the system will be super loud no matter what. I find cut mode to be almost unusable because of this for playing live unless you are aiming for an overdriven tone and your volume is just perfect at whatever wattage selection you're on. For recording it works well, though.

Thank you for the input. I have owned many modern, vintage amps and I do understand that the noise is always there no matter what. Still this particular mode is too noisy. I actually had a chance to play my friend's TA-30 112 and surprisingly it was dead quiet.

I ended up replacing the reverb tank myself and that made the amp slightly quieter. Yes I did change the tubes but I think it really has nothing to to do with any of the tubes. It simply is a noisy amp when reverb is used. Instead I decided to use my effects out front. Thank you.

Back