Which 2 12 Cab for me?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oceantracks

Reaction score
Sorry if this post is in the wrong forum, but can't seem to find one that fits....

I am looking for a MESA 2 12 cab that will work best for my home studio. I want to be able to use a couple different heads with it depending on what I'm recording,
I have a 65 Dual Showman head for clean stuff, and I'm in the market for a not too expensive Marshall solution for a head as well.

I'm trying to find the most versatile cab for this kind of thing, as I do a lot of cover work....I get hired to do tracks that can go from all out country to alternative rock, to pop, etc.

So far online I've heard several Mesas, and the Roadking 2 12 with it's mixed speakers sounds very good to me, but when I went to the MESA site I see they have a lot of different choices for two twelve cabs. Kind of need some advice here....

Thanks so much
Tom

I had the Electra Dyne/Royal Atlantic 2x12, they are the same cabinet. It was loaded with 2 V30's. Maybe the speakers weren't broken in, but I didn't like it at all. I picked up a Stone Age 2x12 and loaded it with a pair of old Celestion G1265's, and this thing sounds great. Honestly, it smokes the Mesa 2x12. The Stone Age is semi open back. Maybe it's the speakers? Not sure. The Stone Age is the same size as a Bogner 2x12.

I didn't like that cab either. The one I tried was an early ED cab that came with MC90 speakers. The traditional 2x12 has worked very well for me. It is pretty compact and doesn't weigh to much.

The V30s I find are a versatile workhorse, but if you want classic Marshall tone you will probably want a greenback type. I have been testing a new G-12M Creamback and could hardly be happier. A second will be ordered soon to fill my traditional 2x12.

Latest posts

Back