my RA doesnt take pedals well

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simbio

Reaction score
Hello everybody, i got a new RA like 3 weeks ago and i just found that take's many pedals incredibly bad (wah, phaser, overdrives, distortions) and well, im a little worried about it.
When i turn my wah (crybaby 535q) on or my phaser a get a super harsh echo every time i play the 3rd and 4th strings from my guitar, when i use overdrives or distortion pedals and i play the 5th and 6th guitar string the amp fuzzes really bad.

Might be my cab with man o war's? might be a tube's problems? this is my first good amp and im getting a little crazy about all this.

Thank you and sorry for my english.

Simbio said:
Hello everybody, i got a new RA like 3 weeks ago and i just found that take's many pedals incredibly bad (wah, phaser, overdrives, distortions) and well, im a little worried about it.
When i turn my wah (crybaby 535q) on or my phaser a get a super harsh echo every time i play the 3rd and 4th strings from my guitar, when i use overdrives or distortion pedals and i play the 5th and 6th guitar string the amp fuzzes really bad.

Might be my cab with man o war's? might be a tube's problems? this is my first good amp and im getting a little crazy about all this.

Thank you and sorry for my english.

An Echo? I don't how how that's possible. My friend has a Royal and I tried many pedals on it with no problem. He uses a Japanese Boss SD-1 and it sounds great with it, I've tried a BB preamp and even the Bogner Red XTC pedal with it, no problems. And the Strymon Mobius sounded great with it. You are going straight into the INPUT of the amp and NOT the effects loop right? You should only use reverb and or delay in the effects loop and maybe an EQ pedal for volume boosts.

Other than that double check your cables, try 1 pedal at a time, try to eliminate one thing at a time.

Hello and thx for the replays. I dont really know what's wrong with the amp, when i turn the wah or the phaser on i hear a echo (like a very short delay) and when i use my overdrive / distortion pedals they fuzz really bad when playing the 5th and 6th string.
And yes, when i use phaser, chorus, delay, etc. i use them in the fx loop. When i use the wah / overs / distortions they're in front of the amp.

Is there any posibilities that the problem is my cab or the tubes?

tried:

Mi audio tube zone
tech 21 liverpool
ts9

the 3 of them fuzz terribly but when i use my mxr 10 band eq as overdrive or my cae line driver as overdrive i have no issues, like if the amp only takes transparent pedals or something like that. About the wah i use a crybaby 535q

Simbio said:
Hello and thx for the replays. I dont really know what's wrong with the amp, when i turn the wah or the phaser on i hear a echo (like a very short delay) and when i use my overdrive / distortion pedals they fuzz really bad when playing the 5th and 6th string.
And yes, when i use phaser, chorus, delay, etc. i use them in the fx loop. When i use the wah / overs / distortions they're in front of the amp.

Is there any posibilities that the problem is my cab or the tubes?

tried:

Mi audio tube zone
tech 21 liverpool
ts9

the 3 of them fuzz terribly but when i use my mxr 10 band eq as overdrive or my cae line driver as overdrive i have no issues, like if the amp only takes transparent pedals or something like that. About the wah i use a crybaby 535q

I'd put the phaser out front as well, phase sounds aweful in the loop to me. I also never use chorus in an effects loop. If the amp sounds ok with the pedals off then it's gotta be something with the pedals. Unplug everything and start by plugging in 1 pedal at a time so you can troubleshoot the pedals, and the patch cables you're using between the pedals.

The cab shouldn't be an issue. I have one loaded with Man-O-Wars and it sounds fine with distortion running through it (they're Eminence's version of the G12T-75s for those that've never heard them).

Most problems with tube amps are tube related. Mesa tries to use reliable tubes, but they're little glass bottles and shipping can take it's toll on them. Make sure they're all seated firmly in their socket, and if that doesn't work then try swapping some around to see if the problem changes. Mesa has a section on diagnosing tube problems near then end of the manual, and the tubes are warranted for 6 months from the date of purchase should one or more of them have gotten damaged.

Stupid Question:

Does the amp work fine when you plug straight in from the guitar with the FX loop bypassed? This is a good starting point for testing.

Yeah, I never found the RA to take pedals very well, especially towards the end of my tenure with the amp. At the beginning, I thought otherwise, but after some critical listening I quickly changed my mind. It doesn't take pedals horribly, but just not as well as say other Mesa amps do (Lonestar).

YellowJacket said:
Stupid Question:

Does the amp work fine when you plug straight in from the guitar with the FX loop bypassed? This is a good starting point for testing.

the amp works perfectly, the problem begins when i engage overdrive / distortion pedals and my wah.

Latest posts

Back