TA15 - anyone else prefer the treble all the way down?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markblasco

Reaction score
I've got a TA15 and a Mini Rec, and haven't really been loving the TA15 (but like the versatility using it for recording). Recently I found that I was able to get an overdriven sound that I like out of it, but only with the treble control pretty much all the way down. Once I start bringing it up past about 8:00, all of a sudden the breakup sounds too harsh.

Does anyone else do the same thing? Are you guys getting great overdriven sounds from this amp with the treble up high?

Well, a change of power tubes has improved the sound, so it looks like the treble control will be getting a little more use now!

I have been using Boogie amps since the 80s. I've had Marks I, II,and III, and Lonestars. I am currently gigging 3 times a week with a TA-15 or a TA-30 both of which I like BUT I use drastic settings to tame the brightness of these amps. On channel one, I have the CUT setting almost all the way up (5 0'clock) and on channel two I turn the treble all the way down. I wonder why they make these amps this way. Did changing those tubes really make a big difference for you and what kind of tubes did you use?

I had mesa tubes before and after, I think there was an issue with one of them. The change in tone wasn't drastic, but it was noticeable.

I have the same issue with my TA30- it seems so bright that I usually have the cut way up or the treble way down. I was thinking of getting rid of it, as it is frustrating, but I love the vibe of the amp. i was about to experiment with some different speakers. I do have a new set of tubes. Maybe i will throw those in and see how they compare. Thanks for the tip.

I still love these amps...(I've got 3 TA-15s) and I can get a sound I like just by turning the cut up and the treble down...I just can't imagine why they designed them this way!

I have found that with my TA15 I've never really loved how it sounded in the room, but recorded it has sounded good. Every time I play it my opinion changes, some days I like it, others I don't. It does make for a nice contrast to the mini rectifier, though, and is handy in the studio.

Yes the TA-15 is a bright amp by mesa stardards, but in a band setting where the bass frequencies are already well covered I find TA-15 is voiced perfectly to sit in the mix AND cut through.

I agree the top boost channel gets harsh with a tele but this can be fixed by rolling off the guitars tone control.

If you play the amp with the tone/cut at noon for a while and then drop the treble down and cut up it really does sound like the proverbial blanket has dropped!

Back