TA speakers/cabs

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of the time I'm using an open back 1x12 Lonestar cab as this makes for a great light weight gigging package. If I'm feeling extravigant I'll also take along a Mesa Thiele 1x12 and run them both together from the 8 Ohm output.

Thanks, i have been using a traynor cab with a Celestion Vintage 30 and it sounds good. But i just got a Mini Recto Slant cab and it has a V30??? i assume it's the V30 made by Celestion for Mesa. It sounds good though. Wonder how a Greenback would sound

BoogieJem said:
Most of the time I'm using an open back 1x12 Lonestar cab as this makes for a great light weight gigging package. If I'm feeling extravigant I'll also take along a Mesa Thiele 1x12 and run them both together from the 8 Ohm output.

If you are daisy-chaining these 2 cabs, wouldn't you run them from the 4 Ohm output? Are you specifically choosing 8, knowing the load is 4? I've always been curious about that... if it's a tone thing.

I have never used both at the same time but I guess 2 8ohm speakers would connect to the 4ohm

geetarplayer said:
BoogieJem said:

If you are daisy-chaining these 2 cabs, wouldn't you run them from the 4 Ohm output? Are you specifically choosing 8, knowing the load is 4? I've always been curious about that... if it's a tone thing.
Sorry my bad - I meant to say I am running them from the 4 Ohm output! A 4 Ohm load into the 8 Ohm amp output would be an unsafe mismatch! I have experimented with safe mismatches i.e. 8 Ohm loads into 4 Ohm outs on various amps and you do get a different tone (not necessarily better) and less volume. I have always ended up going back to the perfect match tho.

Yes, i have mismatched ohms before. It affects the tone. I have run a Vox Lil' night train into a 16 ohm speaker at 2 watts and when i run it into an 8 ohm cab it runs at 1 watt. to me, it sounds better into 8 ohms! I have only ran the Transatlantic into 8 ohms.

Back