Transatlantic with Celestion Gold speaker?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjs1962

Reaction score
Anyone tried a Celestion Gold with a Transatlantic? If so, what did you think of the combination?

I have a TA-30 combo that sounds good, but I'm wondering if replacing the C90 with a Gold might make it even better?

fjs1962 said:
Anyone tried a Celestion Gold with a Transatlantic? If so, what did you think of the combination?

I have a TA-30 combo that sounds good, but I'm wondering if replacing the C90 with a Gold might make it even better?

Reviving this because I have tried this. I have an LSS 1x12 combo that I loaded with a Gold, and I plugged my new TA15 into it. It sounds great, as you can imagine.

I would be cautious with the TA30 though... that's a very powerful amp and I'd be nervous about pushing a $300 50 watt speaker with it. I'm probably pushing it a bit with the LSS, but it theoretically tops out at 35 if you use the proper output jack, otherwise it usually isn't getting more than 15 or 30 max. The TA30 seems like it could take it to the brink.

I also have a LSS with a Gold. Plugged in my newly acquired TA15 - exceptional tone! Loved it. I think you'd be fine pushing a Gold with the TA30. Heck, it's rated for it.

A 30 watt amp into a 50 watt speaker should be fine! They're expensive suckers, though, so maybe you can find one locally that you can plug into first.

Just realized it's actually capable of pushing 40 watts. In that case, I wouldn't feel as comfortable with the Gold. Just be smart.

A 40 watt amp should be fine with a 50 watt speaker. Mesa sold the 90 watt Electradyne 1x12 combo with a 90 watt speaker. When in doubt email Celestion. I have had good luck with their customer service. I have been running a 50 watt Stiletto Ace through 2-25 watt greenbacks for 5 years hard without any problems. Get the facts from the manufacturer. Celestion will stand behind its product rating.

Gordybaby said:
A 40 watt amp should be fine with a 50 watt speaker. Mesa sold the 90 watt Electradyne 1x12 combo with a 90 watt speaker. When in doubt email Celestion. I have had good luck with their customer service. I have been running a 50 watt Stiletto Ace through 2-25 watt greenbacks for 5 years hard without any problems. Get the facts from the manufacturer. Celestion will stand behind its product rating.
It is a good idea to talk to Celestion.

All true about running amps near or just above speakers' rating... you just want to be careful. Unless you really play with your amp cranked all the time, it's usually fine. I ran my LSC loaded with a 50w Blue Dog for a time, and it was fine because I basically never cranked it (lacking a real reason to crank it to the point of danger). But that's a 100 watt amp, so pushing it that hard means I am really trying to move some serious air (and in that case I'd be inclined to add an extension cab). With a 30 or 40-watt amp it could be more likely that I'd be pushing the amp closer to its limit, with just one speaker. Just thinking about the situations in which this would occur for me.

Back