Finally got to play a TA/RA series amp!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree! I've owned a few boogies and this is by far the easiest to love! I don't know why these amps haven't got more of a following/fan base?

Did you try a TA-30? If so did you think its tone was as good as the TA-15 (but louder)?

BoogieJem said:
I agree! I've owned a few boogies and this is by far the easiest to love! I don't know why these amps haven't got more of a following/fan base?

Did you try a TA-30? If so did you think its tone was as good as the TA-15 (but louder)?
There was one... but once I hit the TA-15, I ate up the rest of my lunch break on it. I will give that a gander next time I am there. What is likely the main difference is that the 6L6's will just stay cleaner a bit longer. But...I am rather fond of the EL84s. I am big fan of the AC30 power section and have really liked the latest EL84 fad for low watt amps. Love those bottles when they get humming!

I am had long given up a traditional amp (to be read as not a modeler) that would give me what I wanted in clean tones on through crunch into the lower end of what is high gain today. I actually broke a sweat playing guitar at lunch in the music store! haha.

Congrats!
Actually, the TA-30 also uses EL-84s....just more of them!
The Top Boost circuit of Ch1 at 30W of the TA-30 with a single coil strat sounds fantastic!! And yes, it can get quite LOUD! :mrgreen:

MBJunkie said:
Congrats!
The Top Boost circuit of Ch1 at 30W of the TA-30 with a single coil strat sounds fantastic!! And yes, it can get quite LOUD! :mrgreen:
I just saw that. I was on my way here to correct myself. haha. I am not sure WHERE I pulled that 6L6 nonsense from. haha. Oh well. I will just chalk it up to getting older. haha.

Kinda happy to hear that it is EL84s. I really like how they sound.

Probably in a minority here, but I REALLY dug the HI-2 setting. I don't really use the copious amounts of gain that today's guitarists do. I like more note definition and 'dark chunk' to my heavier tones. But, the clean channel is equally to die for.

I am going to try and get out at lunch to mess with the TA-30 and a Mark V.

I played the Express 5:50 and 5:25. I thought the clean tones were just something else. The gainier tones... not so much.

Well, I still dig the TA... but I liked it less the more I pushed it.

I played the head and the combo.

I did, however, really dig the Mark V.

MBJunkie said:
Congrats!

Do you own the TA30? If so, are the much discussed issues concerning noise in the f/x loop and reverb circuit true?

The TA-15 is a fantastic amp, I've had one for a couple of years and I've gigged it many times, including last night. I've been a huge fan of EL84s over recent years, there's just something about their tone when you push them, they sure as hell can get worked-up angry! They don't have the bass response of, say, EL34s or 6L6s, but for my money and the music I play, '84s is where it's at.

Back to the TA: it's fully loaded with great tones! Recently in band situations I've taken to playing it exclusively through Channel 1's Normal mode at 15W and adding dirt as required with pedals: this might seem absurd given the versatility of the amp, but because of the lack of reverb and FX loop I'm putting a small splash of reverb, and sometimes echo, into the front of the amp via my pedal board, and I really don't like reverb/echo being overdriven in the preamp. There's no doubt I definitely love the gain options the TA offers, it's just I find less use for it in live situations compared to the stellar clean tones it offers: I love the cleans that tweed mode in Channel 2 has as well, it's just that I find Normal mode on Channel 1 sits better in the band mix.

Last night's gig I was complimented on my tone with a Strat through the TA yet again! I've actually lost count of the times when one or more audience members have told me it's sounding great with the TA, it's certainly many more times than I've been complimented when playing through my Lonestar Special, even though I personally prefer the Lonestar overall, for smaller gigs and practices the TA just can't be beat.

guitarrhino,

Yes, I own the TA-30 combo and yes there is some noise with the reverb/effects circuit engaged. However, I don't find the noise to be problematic for me. In fact, I usually have the reverb/effects circuit engaged all the time with a small amount of reverb and no effects in the loop. I just prefer the sound of the amp with the circuit engaged.

BTW....the only time I notice the noise is when I am not playing, and even then it isn't bad. It might be an issue for some while recording, but not playing live IMO.

My #1 amp is still my Mark V, but the top boost circuit of the TA-30 is fantastic!

Hope this helps.

Back