TA-30 Reverb noise & tube change idea

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdortona

Reaction score
Has anyone tried putting a lower gain tube (e.g. 12AT7 or a 5751) in the V6 slot (which controls the Reverb send and return stages) on the TA-30 to decrease the hiss? Has it helped at all? THanks!

Matt

The hiss you are hearing is inherently in the design of the amp. It is there due to the proximity of the reverb tank to the output transformer. If you don't like the hiss, get a reverb pedal or an external reverb unit.

I had a Dr Z Maz jr that had a bad hiss in the reverb. I Shielded the bottom of the reverb tank by covering cardboard with aluminum foil and it was very quiet after that. It might be worth trying.

Hi Jeff,

No, I never did try your reverb tank idea since I decided against getting the TA-30 after all. Went with an Express 5:25+ combo and have been generally happy with it. I still have the LSS and also picked up a mint Heartbreaker head "by being in the right place at the right time". Take care!

Matt

A fairly good bit of overlap. Cleans are quite similar, but the LSS is fuller, which I suspect is due to the cab size and maybe the C90 vs the V30 in the 525. Low gainer settings are similar too, but the 525 has considerably more gain on tap. With a closed ext cab on the 525 I can cop about 75% of the LSS mojo (and my back is much happier) :lol: I have thought about selling the LSS since I don't gig with it that much, but I have been down that road before if know what I mean.

Matt

Yeah, I couldn't sell my LSS. I sold my first one and went thru three different amps before buying this one. I stuck a Celestion Gold in this one and I'd put it up against any amp out there.

You make a good point about putting in Celestion Gold in the LSS. Maybe, I'll save some gig money and give it a go - "sounds" like a good investment :lol:

Matt

Latest posts

Back