TA30 compared to Maz18?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceman

Reaction score
I was recently in a rehearsal studio and was playing through a Dr.z maz 18 and I really loved the clean the tone. No DrZ dealers in the state so I headed over to my Mesa dealer to give the lone star special a try since it is an el84 based amp as well. I liked the cleans but didn't care for the drive channel. Mind you I was really after the el84 based clean vibe. Anyway while I was at the dealer I gave the ra100 a try (gasing for one of those too :) ). I really liked the cleans, much different than the LSS of course, but great none the less. The other channels were top notch as well. I found a good deal on a ra100 so I'm tempted to pick it up. After doing some more research I started watching reviews of the TA30. I hadn't known it was an el84 based amp. Looks better on paper than the DrZ but does anybody have experience with both. How do the cleans compare between the two, are they apple vs apple and can be compared? Or should I just forget the question and get the ra100 :)

iceman said:
I was recently in a rehearsal studio and was playing through a Dr.z maz 18 and I really loved the clean the tone. No DrZ dealers in the state so I headed over to my Mesa dealer to give the lone star special a try since it is an el84 based amp as well. I liked the cleans but didn't care for the drive channel. Mind you I was really after the el84 based clean vibe. Anyway while I was at the dealer I gave the ra100 a try (gasing for one of those too :) ). I really liked the cleans, much different than the LSS of course, but great none the less. The other channels were top notch as well. I found a good deal on a ra100 so I'm tempted to pick it up. After doing some more research I started watching reviews of the TA30. I hadn't known it was an el84 based amp. Looks better on paper than the DrZ but does anybody have experience with both. How do the cleans compare between the two, are they apple vs apple and can be compared? Or should I just forget the question and get the ra100 :)

I would get the RA-100. Granted, I'm only an RA-100 user, but I can attest to the power of that amplifier. I get so many compliments on my tone with that amp. And, unlike some Mesa's, it isn't bogged down with too much low end. The amp has massive low end if you want it, but it also is capable of pulling back on the low frequencies, which also helps each guitar I use maintain their individual sound.

FYI -- use the channel assignable attenuator for the clean channel, turn down the bass, turn up the gain, and get the volume up -- voila, you should be left with a very chimey sounding amplifier that is reminiscent of a good EL-84 clean tone.

I think I'll grab the ra100 while I can and take my time on the el84 amp hunt. I'll probably sell my triaxis to fund it. I never really got around to building a rack setup and since I've gotten the hang of dialing the markv in, the triaxis doesn't get any lovin. I'd like to spend some time with a suhr badger, dr z maz 18 and a ta30. I really need to stop plugging into amps I haven't played before or I'll end up with them all :lol: Maybe I should just get the kemper profiler amp, that thing is crazy.

I can't say anything about the Suhr Badger or Maz 18....never had the chance to try either of them. I can't say anything about the RA100 either because I have never had the chance to play through one of those.....let alone even seen one in person.

However, I have owned my TA-30 combo for about 1-1/2 years and find it to be a very nice compliment to my MkV which is definitely my #1 for gigging!

Hey, if you get a good deal on the RA100.....go for it, but definitely check out the TA-30 at some point. The Top Boost circuit of the TA-30 is incredible! I can't get my MkV to cop that sound. Most other circuits of the TA-30 are great as well.....the only one that doesn't grab me much is the H2 of Ch2......most probably because I am spoiled with the MkV.

Best of luck!

The top boost side of the TA30 is the best Telecaster amp I have ever played through. I had my Tele up for sale when I bought my TA, I even had someone who was interested in buying it. I plugged my Tele into my TA and when I switched to top boost mode I couldn't believe how good it sounded. This Tele and this TA are not going anywhere.

I live near a few large music stores here in Atlanta. I was on on a clean amp tone quest for a while. I had a Zinky Velvet bought on a whim for 6 months. Blue Velvet. Stellar EL 84 cleans, weak high gain.

I tried the TA 30 3 or 4 times and it was a great amp. The Dr Z line down here is popular and the Maz 38 was the one I bought. IMO the Z has that voice in the gain channel you like or not.

Have you tried a Tone King? The Imperial is a 2x12 with the best Fender tones ever made. It has an attenuation type circuit and end up with a hard rock crunch in there.

I keep hearing the RA 100 gets close to a IIC. Now that is something to consider!

jmont...

I am glad you are digging your TA-30 played through a Tele! I don't own a Tele, but your posts make me think maybe I should soon! :lol:

IMHO, the TA-30 also sounds great while playing an HSS Suhr S3 and HSS Fender Strat Deluxe! Once again, not to sound like a broken record, but the Top Boost circuit of the TA-30 combo absolutely Kick's *** to me!! :mrgreen:

I've got a killer SRV tone dialed in on the tweed side with my Strat. But the Tele on the Top Boost side is just so good I get lost in it. Like I said, I was going to sell my Tele to recoup some money after buying this amp. I never really played it because I preferred my Strat. It's getting plenty of play time now and not going anywhere.

Gotcha and glad you are loving it!! :mrgreen:

Honestly, I am able to achieve absolutely incredible tones in 4 of the 5 modes of the TA-30 with my guitars. While the "Top Boost" mode of Ch1 is my favorite, I also love the "Normal Mode" of Ch1 and the "Tweed and H1 Modes" of Ch2!! In other words, there are "close seconds" to the awesome "Top Boost Mode".

Years ago I settled on HSS type strat guitars due to their incredible versatility. I am able to achieve great sounds with my guitars through the TA-30 in several modes with no disappointments whatsoever....."for the types of sounds offered in the TA-30".

That said, I think I will stop by my local music store and audition the TA-30 while playing a Tele! You have spiked my interest!! :mrgreen:

Thanks for giving me GAS jmontgomery, it usually just comes naturally to me damit! :shock:

jmontgomery said:
The top boost side of the TA30 is the best Telecaster amp I have ever played through. I had my Tele up for sale when I bought my TA, I even had someone who was interested in buying it. I plugged my Tele into my TA and when I switched to top boost mode I couldn't believe how good it sounded. This Tele and this TA are not going anywhere.

same here, incredible tele sound in Top Boost Mode...overall the TA30 sounds great, i can not stop plying it

I have and play BOTH at TA-30 and an RA-100 (plus a Mark V just for the hell of it).
The cleans are very different on the two. The RA-100 is much more Fender-ish, even attenuated and pushed. The TA-30 is much more Vox-y- brighter, chimy. The Top Boost mode is awesome deliciousness in the sweet spot and has that sweet spot punch. both are great amps, but complimentary and very different. TA-30 is brighter, punchier and very Vox-like. I find the RA100 to be smoother, rounder.

Just my $0.02 worth of perspective.

Back