TA-30 fades

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GerryM

Reaction score
I have used my TA-30 head on a few gigs and noticed that the level fades after it's been in use for an hour or so. Both red and green channels both set at 30 watts with reverb/loop in. Tried switching the rev/loop out but didn't fix the problem. It just seems to lose body. In twice for service...never found fault on bench. Changed input, phase inverter, and all 4 power tubes. Still happening. Great sounding amp...plenty of volume when working ... just inconsistant.
:(
Anybody ?

Ha ha, here we go again.

Sorry, OP. There have just been so many first timers on here with issues with their new TA30s. It just seems a bit comical.

Good luck finding answers though.

This was a problem with my Lonestar Special; the send/return jacks needed to be cleaned. Don't know why they weren't replaced but never had the
problem after that. Might be the loop jacks are affecting the amp even though you have the loop out maybe?

No fault was actually ever found on bench either, Mesa tech support just happened to know of the issue.

+1 on the FX send/returns. I just had an amp at mesa for the same problem and Mike B. said this was common. The way you can test to see if that is the issue with your amp is to plug a cable between the send and return jacks and play the amp. If it stops fading in/out, then that is the problem. If the problem persists, it possibly cold be a bad OT.

I have read about the TA-30 loop problems. I bridged the send/return with a short cable and it works fine in the basement. I will take the amp back into battle a couple of times. Might be a couple of weeks but I will post again with the results.
Thanks for the ideas.
G

Cool! And please don't get discouraged! If it is the loop connections then it ends up being a small problem in retrospect.

There are guys doing all they can to keep older Marshalls usable. Larry Carlton has made comments of frustration with some of his amps.

Once you get this resolved I bet it will be smooth sailing (for an amp with tubes :) )

:D Well, a cable hard wiring the fx loop seems to have done the trick. I have had the TA-30 out on the gig twice. Both times played the snot out of it. No fading problem. $6 solution.
I hope that helps anyone else having the same problem.
Gerry

Dec 13/13 Problem still there. Had it serviced at Steve's Music in Toronto. Turns out the tube in V5 affects the FX return and misbehaved when provoked on the bench. Changed the tube and the misbehaving stopped.
The tone is much fuller than before and I gigged once with no problems.
Stayed tuned.

GM

So, now that you know what it is, you need to clean the contacts on the jacks inside. Another way is to just take a cable plug and repeatedly plug it in and out of the FX jacks. Sometimes a little contact cleaner liquid on the jack can help.

Gerry, I am pleased that you got it fixed and that it was a cheap solution! :mrgreen:

I have owned the TA-30 112 combo version for about 1-1/2 years with zero problems.....well except for that it can be slightly noisy with effects/reverb engaged (while idle) as others have posted. That being said, the amount of "noise that I hear at idle with reverb/effects engaged" is minimal and very acceptable to me....especially considering the great "vintage" tones this thing conjures!!

It appears that the more "significant issues" with this amp are with the head variety. Of course, that could mainly be due to many more people buy the head version and/or that I have been lucky with my 112 combo! I dunno, but will say that I really like this amp!

Same thing with my new TA-30 head...problems with browning out, and a burning smell at first. Only seemed to be a problem with the fifteen amp setting on Ch #1. At 30 or 40W no issues..Took it in, and the culprit was a weak tube...now no problems....this amp turns heads!! Hang in there...

Took my amp out to gig again. Still using a jumper to bridge the FX loop. After several different guitar (335/strat) & channel combinations I find the top boost / green channel is the one to use for me regardless of the genre. Pop - blues - jazz - rock....the amp purrs for rhythm and snarls when I turn up the guitar volume. Boss BD-2 for a little extra kick and heads turn. Set to 40 DynaWatts with 1x12 cab. Really great sound. Tweed sound good for sleeper gigs, drive sounds good for studio.
18 pounds! Awesome jobbing amp. :D
Gerry

Back