Mesa TA-15 gets hot, is this normal?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imc2111

Reaction score
This maybe a newbie question, but I just recently got a mesa TA-15 and noticed the chasis got pretty hot, is this a normal side effect from the tubes?

This is my first time using a head with a cab, so I dont know if heads tend to get hot.

Tubes generate a lot of heat (enough that you'll burn your hand if you touch them with bare fingers while they're in use).

I can see the metal head case on the TA-15 getting pretty hot, but I've never used one myself so I can't say how hot it should get.

Yes this is normal for the TA. Only thing to watch out for is touching the chassis with sweaty hands when it's hot as this leaves a permenant tarnish!

Yes, it's normal to get very hot. It's that power transformer that is scorching hot.

I use a variac and run my TA-15 at 110 volts, which helps out with the heat. I also drilled holes in the bottom plate to let it breathe better. And anytime I'm running the amp at home, I take the cover off it.

I used my TA-15 head last night at a gig in a relatively cozy venue and yes, the amp runs hot: after the show I turned the amp off, let it stand for a few mins, then put it in its bag but left the bag's top open to let it cool further for probably 20... then I drove home (approx half an hour)... taking the TA-15 out of the car the bag was still warm, over an hour after it was switched off.

Also definitely watch out for getting any skin grease or sweat on the Platinum Pearl finished parts when it's hot because they do leave permanent (and I mean permanent) tarnishing, I had to have mine refinished it looked so bad.

Spectacular sounding amp though, if a bit noisy in higher gain modes, even though I use a Lonestar as my main amp I actually can't say which one I prefer playing through... compared to the Lonestar the TA-15 is just so damned accessible: it takes me seconds to get the TA-15 dialed-in for the venue, while my Lonestar can be much more fussy to get right.

Back