Electra Dyne Owner wondering about the Royal Atlantic

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skunizzi

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I currently own an Electra Dyne combo and I wanted to trade it for a head version of the same amp. I started looking at some videos and I am wondering if it may be time to trade it in for a Royal Atlantic instead?

I love the classic vibe of the ED but some clips of the Royal also sound pretty good.

What I would like to hear is some advice from someone who has played both.

Anyone!?

This is lame, but I rehearse with my RA first time this Thursday. I can let you know my impression after that.

I currently have both amps. The ED has been with me for 18 months and the RA around 1 month.

I guess it really depends on what sounds you want. To my mind they both cover different areas with some overlap in the middle.

The ED covers the vintage side better and I would say is more American (Fender) in terms of the Clean tone and reverb with its 6L6 tubes. The gain tones are smoother and can really sing. Fender twin type clean and Marshall Plexi.

The RA is more modern and more British. The reverb is also great, but tighter. Clean tones are voiced a little brighter. Gain tones are more JCM with way more upper mids and Tight bass. Some people have complained the RA doesn't have enough bass, I think it has plenty, but is does depend on ALL the tone controls. Vinage Hi mode is much thicker sounding than vintage Lo which is opposite to the ED. Separate masters for each mode is handy, but the shared gain and EQ for vintage gains modes can still be an issue and possibly more so than for the ED.

I am finding the RA just cuts through so easily, but pulling back on the pick makes it all really controlable. The only thing I have found not to like is the extra weight over the ED is quite noticable. If Mesa offered a lighter short head version without the attenuator for a few hundred less I would have gladly gone in that direction.

rabidinus said:
This is lame, but I rehearse with my RA first time this Thursday. I can let you know my impression after that.

Yes I would love to hear your opinion.

Thanks!

It just depends on your playing style. Like it has been said, if you like more british voiced, vintage gain tones go with the ED (more plexi), if you like more modern British gain tones go RA (kind of a Rockerverb, JCM blend). I don't get people's whole low end issue with the RA, I find it has plenty of low end, it's just voiced differently. ED is more boomy/sub-like, the RA is a lot tighter in the which sits better in a mix if you ask me, the sound guy usually cuts everything below 120-150hz anyway. IMHO the RA is a clear winner out of the two for my playing style.

OK, here's my take:

J.J's description is absolutely right. When I bought my Dyne I was after what the RA offers. Having learned how to use the Dyne I'm never getting rid of it.
Even though both have the same wattage, in my mind the Dyne/RA are similar like a Super/Twin are similar.

The one thing I would like to add is how much FUN the RA is to work with. It's clean channel is similar to the Dyne, but just seems to be infinitely variable.
I can get any shade of clean I want and quickly! The responsive controls with the power attenuator allow you to get ANY sound you want.
I can play country,jazz,etc. with this amp. It really does it ALL! And getting satisfying sound is easy! No searching for days.

I don't know why the RA is getting so little hype but players that own it and play live seem to be unanimous in loving this amp!
Again - it brings FUN back into the playing equation!

Just got back from playing the Dyne and the Royal. Dyne is fatter, thicker, warmer, bigger and badder sounding. I am getting an ED head. I tried it with my Xotic BB and Sonic Edge J&J and it easily handled Alice in Chains, Tool, Metallica or anything else heavy I threw at it!!!!

Latest posts

Back