Early Santana Tone with a Mesa Transatlantic.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imc2111

Reaction score
Is it possible to approximate a Santana like tone with the Transatlantic? I know he uses lots of mids and the TA doesn't have a mid control, so the TA might not be what I'm looking for.

As the owner currently of a TA-30, MkV, RA100 and Heartbreaker (and past owner of MkII, MkII and MkIV, along with about a dozen other models), I am going to have to vote "No" on this one. The TA series, to my ears, is brighter and tighter than the Mark Series. The "clean channel" is intended to be a take on the Vox sound, including top boost. You can get a really nice edgy sustain with it, but it is decidely Top Boost. While the dirty channel does have hi gain settings moving towards Mesa land (and maybe you can get in the santana neighborhood) it is still decidely Marshall sounding. It doesn't have the sag and mi-low richness Carlos got with his Mark amps.

I agree with babow, the gain channel is more brit voiced. Carlos' sounds more 6L6ish to me. I really don't know much about early Mesa's, but I'm assuming they were loaded with such?

Latest posts

Back