TA-15 stain appear on metal cover....strange

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anguscpy

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new for Mesa and my first Mesa is TA-15 + TA cab.

Just bought it around 2 weeks but found that the metal part appear some stain and becoming serious. Anyone TA fd also has same issue?? I may accept such issue after used 1 year (at least) but not so quick...Indeed, I understand that it won't affect the sound quality and performance but the stain is too obvious....

I just sent mail to Mesa and contact local dealer....awaiting for their reply and I will update you guys...

Stain.jpg

Um....I'm thinking of this point too but TA-15 equipped 2 transformer at both side, left hand side no such issue.

Assumer said:
Is that over an area that heats up?

This exact same thing happened to mine: after a few hot gigs I'd managed to get some of my sweat on the amp's "Platinum Pearl" finished parts (specifically the cowling and the control plate) and because I was unaware I didn't wipe it off... over time my amp developed this nasty-looking mottled appearance. I've had the cowling (the top bit as pictured by the original poster) refinished, it looks almost precisely like it did when it was new (they didn't match the colour perfectly, but it's pretty damned close) and I've got no more tarnishing except on the control plate, which I'll also refinish at some stage.

Hi Sebber, how to refinish?? Thanks!!

Sebber said:
This exact same thing happened to mine: after a few hot gigs I'd managed to get some of my sweat on the amp's "Platinum Pearl" finished parts (specifically the cowling and the control plate) and because I was unaware I didn't wipe it off... over time my amp developed this nasty-looking mottled appearance. I've had the cowling (the top bit as pictured by the original poster) refinished, it looks almost precisely like it did when it was new (they didn't match the colour perfectly, but it's pretty damned close) and I've got no more tarnishing except on the control plate, which I'll also refinish at some stage.

Hi Anguscpy, it's very easy to remove the cowling/cover, just watch out for the silver grill bits that are loose once you remove the cowling/cover. Then I just gave it to a friend who has contacts in the car body repair/painting industry, they matched the "Platinum Pearl" colour pretty closely, repainted it and gave it a coat of lacquer for protection and finish.

Overall it cost me around $30 and it took a couple of days to do.

anguscpy said:
Hi Sebber, how to refinish?? Thanks!!

Haven't had that issue and I do run it wide open every now and then. Then again, I use it in "spongy" mode as I've got a nice variac. And I added some ventilation holes on the bottom. :D

Thanks for the info though as it may come in handy!

I did this to mine within about a week of owning it by putting a sweaty palm on it when it was hot. I've not done it since and the finish hasn't deteriorated further but it still has a clear palm print on top! At least I would always recognise it again if it were ever stolen!

Oh....seems this material is sensitive to sweat, water, heat....How about TA30 owner can share if you also have similar issue??

BoogieJem said:
I did this to mine within about a week of owning it by putting a sweaty palm on it when it was hot. I've not done it since and the finish hasn't deteriorated further but it still has a clear palm print on top! At least I would always recognise it again if it were ever stolen!

Return it (as I did)!

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=50401&start=0&hilit=ta+15+tarnishing

Greetz
GATTI

Back