Midrange mod on TA-15

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talltxguy

Reaction score
I checked out a new Mesa tech in Austin today - Anthony at the Audio Monk. He recently got "accredited" by Mesa and is on their website.

I took in my TA-15 and discussed how I'm always using an EQ to make up for the stiff mids that I'm fighting, particularly on the clean and light gain stuff. Apparently, the 34k resistor is the culprit. He's gonna put a little toggle switch to go between 100 ohms and 32k, and he's gonna do something to the treble circuit to add more range to it. And he's gonna try to mount the choke to the chassis instead of having it attached to the inside of the cover.

He's a nice guy who is enthusiastic about tone. Hopefully, his work and prices will be as good as my first impression of him. :)

Pretty quick turnaround time as the tech finished the midrange mod (2 position toggle which are settings below the stock resistor) and mounted the choke on the chassis for me. He also increased the range of the treble a bit.

Unfortunately, I cannot pick the amp up until next Friday because I'm bogged down with work. :(

Hmmm. Have you asked him if it was ever possible to mount a mid pot on the back of the amp to simulate a traditional midrange knob???

He did ask if I wanted to go with a mid knob. After thinking about it, I decided to go with a toggle switch because of simplicity.

I rarely messed with the mid knob on the other Boogies I've owned. In fact, I seem to really only have 2 settings for mids - mildly scooped or really scooped. :)

Boogies are a bit tougher for me to dial in than other amps, so I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible with regard to tone controls.

The difference between the two "mid modes" is subtle but noticable; and I feel like both modes are much better than the stock. I tend to use the scooped setting for clean stuff and the somewhat scooped setting for distorted stuff.

He also mounted the choke, which is cool, because I can now remove the top of the amp. :lol:

I'll post pics in a bit.

Hi talltxguy,

could you please repost the picture, and explain a bit more about the mod? (e.g. which resistor it is? or there is only one 34k resistor so it is easy to find?)

Many thanks!

I got rid of the TA-15. Missed it and picked another one up a while back but had to part with it for $ reasons. It's a great little amp for sure. One of my favorite Mesas.

I liked mine so much that I picked up another one just for a backup. I put some NOS !2AX7s and EL84s in the first one and wow, what a crazy great difference!!

Back