Would You Make This Trade? RA100 for Orange Rockerverb

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAZZGEAR

Reaction score
I love my RA100 2x12. However, I can't really move it around to gigs because I can't fit it in the trunk of my TL (**** trunk is too small). So I have decided to try an sell/trade it.

Right now I have an opportunity to trade it for a Orange Rockerverb 100 MK II. I got a chance to try a one at Rudy's in NY and really like it. In fact, liked the O/D a bit better than the RA. Where it falls short of the RA is, channels 2 and 1 in the RA blow everything out on the Orange....not to mention the other features of he RA.

Ideally I would love to trade for an RA100 head...but alas I haven't found one looking to trade for the combo.

For those of you that have real experience with these two amps, please let me know your opinion.

Thanks

I have no experience with the RA, but I can attest to how much I love the Rockerverb. That was the first amp that when I played through it, I just couldn't stop. I knew I had to have one. My tastes have changed a little since then, and I've found my sound in the LSS, but man, those Rockerverbs are seriously sweet amps!

don't do it!the orange is a good amp but give the RA-100 a chance.try using a boost like a BB preamp with the gain turned mostly down to achieve a sweet over drive tone.this amp takes pedals VERY WELL both before the preamp and in the loop.
Richb

richb said:
don't do it!the orange is a good amp but give the RA-100 a chance.try using a boost like a BB preamp with the gain turned mostly down to achieve a sweet over drive tone.this amp takes pedals VERY WELL both before the preamp and in the loop.
Richb

It's not a matter of not liking the RA100, or needing more gain. I love the amp. Th problem is the form factor, and the limited space I have in my trunk. I would love to trade for an RA head, but the closest I've found to the tone of the RA is the Orange RV100.

JAZZGEAR,

I really can't comment on the RA100 or the Orange Rockerverb seeing that I have never had the chance to play through or even hear either of them played through.

I certainly can understand your quandry with the RA100 212 combo for transporting issues.

I will say that I am loving my Mini Recto, and while I slightly prefer it through my 212 Recto horizontal cab......it also sounds great to me through my new 112 Thiele Widebody Closed Back Front Ported cab......greatly exceeded my expectations in fact.

I purchased my 112 WB Thiele Cab as an extension for my MkV (which sounds Great!), but my Mini Rec also sounds great through it, and with its small size, it weighs in at about 35 lbs.

Just a thought......

I would say buy a bigger car or get a girlfriend to drive you to gigs. This is one hell of an amp. Keep it.

Assumer said:
I would say buy a bigger car or get a girlfriend to drive you to gigs. This is one hell of an amp. Keep it.

Don't think I haven't considered that option -- although it would be more costly to sell / trade in the car now as it is only about a year old.

Have you thought about just ordering an RA head shell from Mesa ? I don't think they charge to much and it would also be a chance to go custom if you are into that sort of thing.

J.J said:
Have you thought about just ordering an RA head shell from Mesa ? I don't think they charge to much and it would also be a chance to go custom if you are into that sort of thing.

Do they make a head for a combo to head conversion? Because unlike the other Mesa's like the LSC, LSS, Mark Vs, the RA head and combo version are not oriented the same way. In other words, the RA combo amp placed into the head -- everything would be upside down.

Don't do it... Rockerverbs are solid for sure, but there is so much more tone in the RA-100. I honestly think the RA Hi-gain slays the Orange if dialed in correctly IMO. Also utilizing the power soak you can nail Rockerverb tones. Mesa's in general have more longitivity than Oranges due to more flexibility in features. I get bored with Orange's amp way too quickly, hence the reason I love my Mark V! :mrgreen: Just see if you can get a shell case, you would regret the trade in the long run.

JAZZGEAR said:
Do they make a head for a combo to head conversion? Because unlike the other Mesa's like the LSC, LSS, Mark Vs, the RA head and combo version are not oriented the same way. In other words, the RA combo amp placed into the head -- everything would be upside down.

Yes, your right the ED is the same. I remembered that one of the ED guys did change from a combo to a head, but had to get used to it being upside down. I have heard people talking about using a Lonestar head shell. The RA chassis may fit and Mesa would be able to tell you, though it would seem a little wrong.

Not only is the chassis different, but I think a few of the circuits boards also have head/combo versions as some of mine say head version.

I have owned both. The orange is much thicker and juicier, the RA more versatile and brighter. cleans win on the RA. but the orange cleans arent too shabby either

J.J said:
Have you thought about just ordering an RA head shell from Mesa ? I don't think they charge to much

****... The head shell I just ordered for my Triple cost a whopping $300. Not exactly what I would call not charging too much.

Latest posts

Back