RA-100 Disappointed - severely

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fdesalvo

Reaction score
I've spent a few hours with this head during rehearsal and am pretty disappointed. I should've noted Mesa's Master settings on their demos, because at those same settings, I'm crushing my drummer and the rest of the guys. Even "soaked" this amp in it's spweet spot is louder than we play at all but our outdoor shows.

Another issue I have are the modes on the Vintage channel. There is hardly any distinguishable change in actual gain between the two, meaning I can't set up LO mode to have a nice edge of breakup tone and then switch to a searing lead tone on HI. With the gain rolled around 3:00 on HI, there are massive microphonics. While I do appreciate the thicker tone of HI, it's not enough to make me want to keep this head.

The clean on this amp is VERY forward and aggressive. It responds so fast to pick attack that it's almost ahead of you. There are no subtle dynamics to be had with this channel without it being cranked and soaked beyond stage levels. It is a really nice clean - better than my Splawn QR, but not near the MKIV.

I can't bring myself to use a pedal with this amp and I'm sure I went in with the wrong expectations, namely expecting it to behave as a 3 channel amp, which it doesn't. My main motivation for getting this amp was to have something that could do a crystal clean, impressive gritty crunch, and a chewy lead tone. My Splawn does lead like no other, but the cleans are very dull and lifeless. Neither will it do crunch with any authority.

At the end of (my) day, the RA-100 does one thing pretty well and another thing ok. The cleans are ok. The LO channel is where this amp shines - it can be creamy or edgy, which is nice. You just cant have your cake and eat it, too. If you plan on leaning on the soak feature, plan on buying power tubes every couple months (according to the manual). I can't gig an amp set to fail with the tones I need.

YMMV, but I wanted to offer a contrast to what I've seen. Like many, I've scoured the net for weeks when I caught wind of this amp. Sadly, I enjoyed my Stiletto II a bit more than this one and below that the MKIV.

fdesalvo said:
At the end of (my) day, the RA-100 does one thing pretty well and another thing ok. The cleans are ok. The LO channel is where this amp shines - it can be creamy or edgy, which is nice. You just cant have your cake and eat it, too.
That was my experience with the Electra*Dyne too. It sounded best in 90 watts, which was way too loud for my needs.

I don't know if the EQ on the RA works the way that other Mesa's do, but on other Mesa's the mid knob generally acts as a stiffness control. More mids=stiffer/harder response. Dropping mids may help to soften the response of the clean channel.

I see where you're coming from reference Vintage Lo/Hi. I've never played an RA, but if it's anything like the Electra Dyne then Vintage Lo/Hi performs more like you have a pair of vintage inspired heads to call upon instead of a mid gain crunch/high gain lead lead setup. I set both up so I get a good crunch tone then step on a Tubescreamer (Fulldrive 2) when I want a screaming lead.

I hope I didn't come across as hating this amp - I don't - not even remotely.

As I was leaving the Hollywood store, I heard one of the guys plug it in to a 412 and go to town with a strat. It is a truly amazing sounding amp, but not what I need at the moment. If I had the money, I'd probably have kept it. I wish I had an outdoor gig to test it at - I bet that's where this one shines. I just couldn't get my mind to accept severely shortened tube life for the sounds I was going for, either.

^^I'm perfectly happy with my MKV - the crunch channel on Edge does what I wanted the RA-100 to do on its Vintage modes -BUT! This is just my opinion; you may plug in and be floored. I bought based off of the soundclips on Mesa's website.

I will say that this amp's clean is really good sounding, though overall the amp is very unforgiving and will shine a spotlight on your poor technique and laugh at you. It will mock you in front of your friends and girlfriend. It will pull your tonal pants down in front of your audience and giggle. If you've got tight chops, this is a great amp to highlight them. I pesonally like a lil' sponginess in the attack for that elastic feel.

fdesalvo said:
^^I'm perfectly happy with my MKV - the crunch channel on Edge does what I wanted the RA-100 to do on its Vintage modes -BUT! This is just my opinion; you may plug in and be floored. I bought based off of the soundclips on Mesa's website.

I will say that this amp's clean is really good sounding, though overall the amp is very unforgiving and will shine a spotlight on your poor technique and laugh at you. It will mock you in front of your friends and girlfriend. It will pull your tonal pants down in front of your audience and giggle. If you've got tight chops, this is a great amp to highlight them. I pesonally like a lil' sponginess in the attack for that elastic feel.

So would you say the MKV is a forgiving amp? Just curious. I am not the most refined player and currently awaiting for an RA but it sounds like I may have some of the issues you are having.

The MKV has a chewy/spongy feel at the strings that I really enjoy and for me, that translates into a forgiving feel. Some amps I've played that have a stiffer feel include the RA, certain VHTs, and my ol' Splawn QR on first gear with gains set really low. It feels like a very stoutly filtered power section if that makes any sense. Chances are you will totally dig the RA if that's yoru sound. Don't be dismayed by my review. Don't assume, Assumer!

Assumer said:
fdesalvo said:

So would you say the MKV is a forgiving amp? Just curious. I am not the most refined player and currently awaiting for an RA but it sounds like I may have some of the issues you are having.

Compared to a Mark III I find the HI channel pretty spongy and forgiving! The Clean channel tolerates no sloppiness, though.

Still, man, like I said in the other thread I have never really had a volume issue with the RA. If you don't use the attenuator, yeah, it's a 100W amp and the settings in the manual are pretty cranked but I find 1 step = live volume, 2 steps = very civilised practice volume, and any more than that is too quiet to play with a drummer anymore. That's with the Masters around 2:30.

fdesalvo said:

Very well said about this amp being very unforgiving.Every single note played jumps out,no hiding behind compressed marks or spongy roadkings.
Overall it will force you to become a better player.keep in mind this really is not a bedroom amp and sounds best on high volumes!
Richb

richb said:
Very well said about this amp being very unforgiving.Every single note played jumps out,no hiding behind compressed marks or spongy roadkings.
Overall it will force you to become a better player.keep in mind this really is not a bedroom amp and sounds best on high volumes!
Richb

The RA-100 reminds me much of the IIC+ played through EVM-12L speakers. The cleans leave nowhere to hide and the RED Vintage Gain reminds me of the C+ with the lead drive around "4". 8)

JOEY B. said:
richb said:
Richb

The RA-100 reminds me much of the IIC+ played through EVM-12L speakers. The cleans leave nowhere to hide and the RED Vintage Gain reminds me of the C+ with the lead drive around "4". 8)
for sure it does and the funny thing is it sounds more like a IIC+ than the mk V on C+ mode!
Richb

I have sort of been giving up on Mesa Boogies for this reason. Even the Electradyne has been a struggle to sound good with a band like my PWE Event Horizon and 20th Anniversary Bogner Shiva.

One thing I've realized with the high gain settings is how much the guitar/pickup combo WILL make or break this amp IMHO. If you're going for more modern metal/post hardcore rhythmic tones active pickups like EMGs (which I usually don't prefer) actually sound really good on higher gain settings. I've tried slightly lower output PAF style passive pickups and I was highly disappointed in a few Les Paul Standards I found in GC. My Bareknuckle Nailbomb Ceramics sounded good, but the Alnico V Nailbombs seemed to do a better job of emphasizing the correct frequencies to my ears with a more predominant mid-range and tamed highs. richb's videos definitely sound great with his BFR JPXI, That guitar suits the RA really well. I still think I prefer my Mark V's high gain sound in Extreme mode with how I have it dialed in, but that's not fair to say the V is better considering I have spent much more time with the V and than the RA. All that to say, It seems a little hotter output goes a long way with this amp.

I played the RA a few times but I couldn't pull the trigger on it because with a BB Preamp and an Electra Dyne, I can do as much and I don't feel like paying more for built in hot plates.

Back