How do the TA15 and TA30 compare to the RA100 ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.J

Reaction score
I'm interested getting an RA-100, but if the smaller TA amps compare well in terms of tones I may go for one instead. I already have an Electra-dyne which is my main amp so I don't need another high power and heavy amp.

Has anyone done a side by side test or had time with both ?

Haven't compared in person, but judging by all the demos I've seen, and playing TA's and an Electra Dyne as a surrogate for the RA for the purposes of discussion... they seem quite different. I think the TA take on the hi-gain british thing (i.e., Marshall) is closer to a cranked Plexi than something more modern, which the RA seems geared for. Which makes some sense, the RA tone stack and gain structure seems way more related to the JCM era than earlier Marshall stuff, whereas the TA seems to take a simpler approach.

Not sure that's really helpful. But I have a TA30 on the way, so I'm excited to see how it works for me on familiar ground, I liked the H1 mode on the 30 more than I did on the 15, which seemed kinda harsh.

I've had the chance to play them both. I've got a TA-30, and had a demo from the factory before that for a project we were doing. We recently got a demo RA-100 for another project and I will be keeping that. Different animals completely, in my humble opinion.
First, the EL84 vs. EL34 tubes have a much different vibe (think Vox vs. Marshall as a general starting point).
Cleans- TA30 has the total british Vox vibe going on, especially with the Top Boost. Jangly, edgy, forward. By somparison, the RA clean is very much more "American", very lush, more like a Lonestar or Bogner Shiva. You also don't get the modes like the TA-30.

Gain channel- As others have mentioned the TA-30 has more of a Mesa feel more Plexi at the OD level moving to Mesa gain feel the higher up you go. RA-100 is way more british/Marshall JCM/Electradyne sounding. Big lush and thick. Again, very different.

The RA is a big heavy powerful amp. It is a "BIG" amp that you can make small. The attenuators enable you to change the feel and get power tube saturation at low volume, but it is a big head. The TA-30 is a small machine which can get loud.

the two are very complimentary, in that the sum of them is an awesome combination of possible tones, but I personally feel that they are designed to be different tone machines, with different "sweet spots."

Just one man's humble view.

i love the TA 30, for me its a great sounding amp, i would say rather vintage voiced than modern ...also very portable, but loud enough for every situation
the settings are very versatile, you can get vox inspired sounds, fender kind of voicing, marshall style and boogie lead...and they all sound great
can not compare to ra 100 but its a perfect complement to my mark v.

+1 on that. It is a perfect complement to my Mk V as well and a perfect "back up" amp for a gig. As my producer/Mesa Artist says- the perfect mix of tone and flexibility right now is:
Mk V, TA-30 and RA-100

+1 on the RA being closer to a JCM800 voicing. I wouldn't say the RA is a "modern" voicing unless you think 1983 is modern.

CoG said:
+1 on the RA being closer to a JCM800 voicing. I wouldn't say the RA is a "modern" voicing unless you think 1983 is modern.
Hah! Good point. I guess my familiarity with (or interest in) Marshall tones stop about then (mine's a 1984). I guess the JVM's and the 2000's have their believers (and the 900SLX too), would those be more "modern" Marshalls? Not that I care ALL that much... :lol:

Thanks so far guys, this has become a really useful discussion about these amps.

I was a little surprised to to learn that the TA and RA are so different given how Mesa markets them. The "Brit" sound thing is a little confusing since it isn't characterised by just one amp. I guess British clean probably has a lot to do with the AC30, but British dirty could be AC30, any of the Marshalls, Orange or even others.

I thought the RA might give me classic JTM45 tone, but I think the realality is that the ED into the right speaker cab (Greenbacks) does that better. The RA will do the JCM tones best. The tones I most need are the Fender Black face clean and Vintage Marshall up to and including JCM800.

It does look like the RA would be the better choice for me compared to the TAs. Still I'm not using my Express 5:25 much. Maybe I should change it over for a TA at some point. If I get the RA that will have to wait for a while though.

I've had the chance to play them both. I've got a TA-30, and had a demo from the factory before that for a project we were doing. We recently got a demo RA-100 for another project and I will be keeping that. Different animals completely, in my humble opinion.
First, the EL84 vs. EL34 tubes have a much different vibe (think Vox vs. Marshall as a general starting point).
Cleans- TA30 has the total british Vox vibe going on, especially with the Top Boost. Jangly, edgy, forward. By somparison, the RA clean is very much more "American", very lush, more like a Lonestar or Bogner Shiva. You also don't get the modes like the TA-30.

Gain channel- As others have mentioned the TA-30 has more of a Mesa feel more Plexi at the OD level moving to Mesa gain feel the higher up you go. RA-100 is way more british/Marshall JCM/Electradyne sounding. Big lush and thick. Again, very different.

The RA is a big heavy powerful amp. It is a "BIG" amp that you can make small. The attenuators enable you to change the feel and get power tube saturation at low volume, but it is a big head. The TA-30 is a small machine which can get loud.

the two are very complimentary, in that the sum of them is an awesome combination of possible tones, but I personally feel that they are designed to be different tone machines, with different "sweet spots."

Very good description, TA is very "Vox-ey" but can achieve some plexi-like Marshall tones and some Mark-ish type boogie tones. The RA is very comparable to the ED (I've owned an ED), although I prefer the RA given it's tighter low end and it cuts more naturally. It's like having the most transparent clean boost built in house when comparing to the ED. The RA does have a Marshall vibe, but I find it to be less than most people credit it. I still find it to have a lot of boogie qualities, just from a Marshall-esc point of view. Mark Morton of LoG does describe the RA as more modern than the Mark IV/V due to it's more natural low end presence, A lot of that also comes with guitar and pickups as the RA is extremely responsive to what instrument you're using, (like most Mesas). Lower output single coils or PAF style humbuckers will obviously sound more vintage, but Morton's Dominion pickups most-likely turn the RA into a different beast. From my experience and the extensive A/Bing I've done between A Reborn Triple Rectifier, Mark V and RA, the RA seems to be a Recto/Mark blend in terms of high gain. Bigger low end than a Mark, but not as big as the Recto, no sizzle like a recto with a cutting Mark-like midrange. In terms of gain I'm just letting you know not to expect a Marshall, It's still very much a boogie, just with a little Marshall flare. But it terms of cleans, the RA is much more fender like.

DWAKO said:

Very good description, TA is very "Vox-ey" but can achieve some plexi-like Marshall tones and some Mark-ish type boogie tones. The RA is very comparable to the ED (I've owned an ED), although I prefer the RA given it's tighter low end and it cuts more naturally. It's like having the most transparent clean boost built in house when comparing to the ED. The RA does have a Marshall vibe, but I find it to be less than most people credit it. I still find it to have a lot of boogie qualities, just from a Marshall-esc point of view. Mark Morton of LoG does describe the RA as more modern than the Mark IV/V due to it's more natural low end presence, A lot of that also comes with guitar and pickups as the RA is extremely responsive to what instrument you're using, (like most Mesas). Lower output single coils or PAF style humbuckers will obviously sound more vintage, but Morton's Dominion pickups most-likely turn the RA into a different beast. From my experience and the extensive A/Bing I've done between A Reborn Triple Rectifier, Mark V and RA, the RA seems to be a Recto/Mark blend in terms of high gain. Bigger low end than a Mark, but not as big as the Recto, no sizzle like a recto with a cutting Mark-like midrange. In terms of gain I'm just letting you know not to expect a Marshall, It's still very much a boogie, just with a little Marshall flare. But it terms of cleans, the RA is much more fender like.

Hmmm. Perhaps you might know better. Does it have some Bogner-esque tones to it???

Hmmm. Perhaps you might know better. Does it have some Bogner-esque tones to it???

It definitely has an X-tacy vibe to it. The best way I can describe the higher gain "more modern" tones is a unique blend of an Orange Rockerverb 100, Bogner X-tacy, and Mesa Dual Rectifier. A lethal combination. You actually can get a very convincing Rockerverb tone when using the power soak. My best recommendation is to try one for yourself. I have yet to find a youtube demo that even closely achieves the tones I've been able to get out in person in the high gain realm. To me the key is to go easy on the gain and rely on a heavy hand technique to get aggressive rhythm tones. There are plenty of solid lower gain representations out there at your finger tips.

DWAKO said:
To me the key is to go easy on the gain and rely on a heavy hand technique to get aggressive rhythm tones.

Taking the gain past the 2 o'clock position on the red channel sacrifices the note definition, for sure. I would rather use the attenuator and/or a heavy picking hand for any extra saturation. 8)

Taking the gain past the 2 o'clock position on the red channel sacrifices the note definition, for sure. I would rather use the attenuator and/or a heavy picking hand for any extra saturation. 8)

I agree 100%! :mrgreen:

Back