Is the RA100 for me?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetdriver

Reaction score
I currently own a Roadster head & Mesa 412 cab. I like this amp a lot, but am GASing for the RA. Finances dictate that I can't have both, so the Roadster would need to go.

I know it's probably silly to ask, without having played one myself, but I'm just looking for general feedback. I use the clean channel, and ch 3 & 4, rarely channel 2. Mostly, I will roll off the guitar volume for cleanish tones. I like rock, hard rock & some metal, but also like blues, etc. I had a Stiletto II as well for a couple years. It was a little harsh to my ears, and didn't have enough low mids for me. I don't need earth shaking bass, but some chunk is desired.

I like the simple layout of the RA, and the idea of simplifying my rig a bit. I currently run the Roadster with an Amp Gizmo MIDI switcher, because gigging that giant 8 button footswitch is a drag.

If you don't play metal, any Mesa outside of the Recto series is going to be a good choice. If you don't like to use pedals for you gain, and like a more British flavored amp, then YES, the RA is an excellent choice. This amp is the exact opposite of the Roadster. I used to have one and gigged with one for over two years, consistently. The Roadster is a dark, low mid voiced amp. Complete opposite of the RA. The great thing about the RA is the ease of the amp in dialing in tones - there are no bad settings. Also, the RA gives you a wide treble knob, meaning you can also have a darker tone if you like, with nice cutting mids.

I do miss the Roadster though. I loved the way it sounded, but I despised how it cut through the mix. In a two-guitar rock band, that amp just didn't cut it for me.

I have a Roadster (bandmate's) and an RA in my basement right now :)

RA does slightly dirty cleans a little better and the RA's mid-gain, 800-ey crunch is hard to beat. The Roadster is far, far more versatile on the fly, especially with EL34s, and is better for either really heavy or technical playing, as the RA has a fair bit of sag.

Have you tried the Roadster with EL34s?

Not yet. In fact, it's due for a complete retube anyway. Might be time to try it out.

Can't recommend it enough. It's not a completely different amp that way but I'd say it's better for a lot of guys. You lose a little complexity and shimmer in the high end (which a lot of people call "fizz", lol) and a bit of "boom" on the super-modern sounds and gain a lot of smoothness, sustain, and grind.

If somebody can't get a good cutting lead sound out of Ch3 Vintage in 50W with EL34s... uh, the problem ain't the amp ;)

Anyway, the Roadster and the RA are pretty apples-and-oranges tonally but I find that a lot of the things guys complain about with the Roadster can be solved by switching to EL34s.

Thanks CoG.

That's probably just what the doctor ordered. I good reason to mix it up, and fall in love with the amp all over again. There's a Mesa guru in the area that I've spoken to a few times. He will install and properly bias an entire set of new, high quality tubes. I'm sure that alone will make a night & day difference. It's a 2009 Roadster, with all the original tubes in it. I've been playing it loud at rehearsals twice a week since I got it 18 mos ago. She's due.

Back