Is the Royal Atlantic capable of metal?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XxDAVIDxX

Reaction score
Hello everyone. First time poster and I'm excited to be part of this forum. I'm looking for some guidance to help me make my first and long overdue Mesa/Boogie purchase. So, I've been going back and forth for weeks trying to decide on which amp is right for me. The Royal Atlantic or the good ol Mark V. I currently own a Marshall DSL100 and A Peavey 6534+. My first attraction to the RA-100 was I thought maybe it would bridge what my two current amps can't. My Peavey has crushing hi-gain but garbage cleans and my Marshall has awesome cleans and crunch but (IMO) garbage fizzy hi-gain.. So I called Don from Haggertys Music after watching his demonstrations on YouTube and after I told him whichever amp I choose it has to be able to play metal-ish type hi-gain tones in addition to beautiful cleans, he suggested that I go with the Mark V and said the Royal Atlantic's gain isnt really ideal for metal. Now I'm really scratching my head because after reading my latest issue of Guitar World and seeing the Royal Atlantic's ad with the guy from L.O.G. Using it, I figured - perfect! Also I would like to add that the RA-100 attenuators are a major selling point for me as I have a wife and a 20 month old son. So I guess my ultimate question is - can the RA-100 handle metal? And I don't mean crazy off the wall stuff but rather the typical Metallica thrash stuff. Tight palm muted metal riff'n. Thanks for any input.

I think it is definitely capable of metal. The low end on the RA-100 is similar to what is found on the Mark V. It won't yield as much thump as a Recto, but most amps won't.

As for the attenuators, I am mixed on them. I wouldn't buy this amp for real quiet playing. Seems like overkill for something that will never leave your home. Remember, three watts is still loud. The attenuator does allow you to get some nice power tube crunch going, which is definitely a lot warmer than your usual preamp distortion, but it still requires some volume behind it to sound good. I'd say get the RA if you hope to use the amp for gigging, and if you can tolerate loud TV volumes -- otherwise, I think you might be underwhelmed by the RA-100.

Thanks bro.. Not what I wanted to hear. I don't gig. I just play at home however I am used to loud volumes. As I said, my current setup is a Peavey 6534 which is 120w. I was thinking the RA-100 attenuated would be more fesable for in home use rather than the Mark V at 10w. Is there any logic to that?

Yea he does. I mentioned that I think.. Unfortunately no dealers locally here have one for me to play. As for Lamb of God, I told that to a well known Mesa dealer and they said the Royal doesn't have the tight gain that I'm looking for.. I'm hoping someone that owns a Royal will chime in with there thoughts.

Dude, I'd go with the Mini-Rectifier. Sounds like exactly what you need if you never leave the house. You'd have more than enough volume, especially through a 4x12. A 100 watt amp for strictly bedroom use is way overkill, but you have some beasts at home already so I guess you already know that :lol:
If you really want a RA-100 I say go for it. It has plenty of gain and you could always put some kind of boost or mild overdrive in front of it to push it even further over the top. I don't own one myself yet, but it will be the next amp I buy. I've always been a Fender blackface player, but I'm about to come over to the dark side :twisted:

I wouldn't get the Mini Recto. That amp sounds fine, but let's face it, it is an amp made for the current economic times. It is also a loud amp. Out of the two, I'd just buckle down and get the Royal Atlantic. Even if your situation doesn't allow you to gig, why not own a great amp, one of which is capable of sounding good at lower (TV LOUD) volumes.

If you are looking for versatility and a good sound, another route to go would be the new Line 6 HD Pod Pro. That thing kicks major ***, and is garnering major reviews. For the price, and the versatility, it can't be beat. And, you could record it straight to you computer. Look up some vids on YouTube to get an idea of it. Weezer went two tours using only these amps for their guitar tones. These new ones are AMAZING.

Another great, low-wattage amp for metal would be the Mark V. That amp sounds surprisingly great at low volumes. The Royal is an open-wide machine -- meaning, it needs the attenuation to quiet things down. It's more like the ED in that respect. It goes from loud to LOUD. The attenuator also adds nice warmth to your overall tone, even in a gigging situation. Personally, I'd prefer the Royal over the Mark V. While the Mark does sound fab at low volumes, it also retains a sort of darkness (nothing major) that disappears when the amp is opened up and cranked. Most of the master volume Mesas are that way from my experiences anyway.

Thanks BostonRedSox. I appreciate all of your input. I think your right about the Mark V. If I don't get a chance to play the Royal soon than I'm just gonna get the Mark V. I've always wanted a Mesa/Boogie and I'm gasing bad. There are enough Mark V professional players out there and that speaks for itself but that Royal Atlantic is so **** sexy. I can't see owning a RA-100 and having regrets. Uugh.. What to do, what to do.

What to do is don't buy either. Dude, friendly advice, you are wasting a metric ****-ton of cash buying an RA or even more buying a Mark V to play it at living-room volume. GAS is not your friend, GAS makes you make really bad decisions.

I own an RA, but for that kind of situation a software modeler (I like Amplitube 3) not only works better and is way cheaper but sounds better, too.

I hear what your saying bro but even though I play at home, I still play at reasonable levels. I usually mic my 2 x 12 cab through my active Mackie 3 ways and play along to backing tracks, MP3's ect.. Like I said, I use two pretty darn loud amps already. Peavey 6534 and a Marshall but neither amp really does "it" for me. And being that you can attenuate the RA down to 3w and the MKV down to 10w, I'm figuring that one of those would be more adept to what I do as apposed to my 120w Peavey. I just want to make sure that when I make my first Mesa/Boogie purchase, that I don't second guess myself like I have with EVERY single amp I've ever bought.. I'm looking at this purchase as my (for now) the end all be all amp purchase.. At least that's what I'm gonna tell my wife. But seriously, this is a important decision. $2200 is a nice chunk of change and I want in on the Mesa owners club and I want to end my search for tonal bliss. I can never see myself supplementing a Mesa for software. I dunno maybe both amps have no business being play a low volumes but that's why I'm here, to figure that out. Thanks for your guys help and listening to my endless rants.

More importantly though, is the fact that it isn't a waste of money if it makes you happy. I cannot quantitatively decide if it is the best decision for you, let alone assess your budget and financial means -- but I do know this -- living a quality life is what living is all about. If you can afford it, get it. Boogies are great amps and come with a lot of history too. I get the appeal. It's the same thing that draws you in to wanting one, that draws me in.

The new Line 6 Pod HD is also a really good piece of quality gear too, and will be cheaper (and possibly more versatile) to the home player. Let us know what you end up with!

:)

I most deff will. I'm gonna browse this forum over the weekend a little, just to gain some more knowledge of Boogies. Ive had very limited first hand experience with them and I'd like to learn as much as I can. I use to be active on the Marshall forum and over time you meet a lot of guys that really know what there talking about and I'd imagine there're plenty of them here as well. I just wish there was a mobile app for this forum.

BostonRedSox said:
More importantly though, is the fact that it isn't a waste of money if it makes you happy. I cannot quantitatively decide if it is the best decision for you, let alone assess your budget and financial means -- but I do know this -- living a quality life is what living is all about. If you can afford it, get it. Boogies are great amps and come with a lot of history too. I get the appeal. It's the same thing that draws you in to wanting one, that draws me in.

The new Line 6 Pod HD is also a really good piece of quality gear too, and will be cheaper (and possibly more versatile) to the home player. Let us know what you end up with!

:)

Man! This HIT hard!! Living a quality life is what living is all about! NICE!

Either way, you can't lose with a Mesa amp, 5 year warranty (in some cases, longer warranty than cars!), awesome customer service, and tones to die for!

If you go with a Mesa, that is a really good move. Like GUMMX97 wrote, they do come with a great warranty. And, they sound fab. Think about the people who buy Corvettes, and other sports cars -- is that much horsepower and speed necessary -- will that much excess ever be truly utilized on the byways and highways of North America? Probably not? Live your life to the fullest. A good amp is a good amp. The Mark V and the Royal can definitely get you some nice quiet tones. And who knows, maybe you'll be playing gigs in the future. Then whichever Mesa you go with will be a win-win -- great at home, great on the road and at gigs.

If you are used to the Marshall thing, and like a brighter, midrange heavy sound, look at the Transatlantic and Royal Atlantics. If you like a grinding, low-midrange sound, with massive bottom-end, get a Recto. If you want a blend of low mids and upper mids, with gobs of smooth gain, get the Mark V.

I still think the Mini-recto is a great amp for the house. Yes, it's loud. That's not my recommmendation though. As I said earlier, the next amp I buy will be the RA-100 Royal Atlantic. It has everything: one of the best clean tones out there, true British gain that we all love, tons of gain on tap, two channels with completely separate eq's, gain, etc. and two modes on the gain channel, you have 100 watts worth of punch and headroom for any application no matter how large, and, of course, the attenuators for all three modes for any application no matter how small, and it just looks **** sexy, one of the very best looking amps out there. Cons: I don't yet know of any.

Hollis said:
I still think the Mini-recto is a great amp for the house. Yes, it's loud. That's not my recommmendation though. As I said earlier, the next amp I buy will be the RA-100 Royal Atlantic. It has everything: one of the best clean tones out there, true British gain that we all love, tons of gain on tap, two channels with completely separate eq's, gain, etc. and two modes on the gain channel, you have 100 watts worth of punch and headroom for any application no matter how large, and, of course, the attenuators for all three modes for any application no matter how small, and it just looks **** sexy, one of the very best looking amps out there. Cons: I don't yet know of any.
Hollis said:

Great points here. The Royal really has this chewy thickness to the gain, if you dial it in that way, use the attenuators, and switch over to your neck pup. So fantastic sounding. Not at all like the smoothness of preamp gain that dominates the sound of the Mark and Recto. The gain is much more open sounding and really blooms at all settings.

Dialing in the Royal is also easy as all heck too. Fantastic sounding amp. Like I've said before, the only minor flaw with the amp is the reverb. It sounds fab and lush, but like most Mesa reverbs, I find it lacking some in depth and ambience.

I currently own a Mark V, but I also love the Royal Atlantic, simply a fantastic amp. Both can do great metal tones, but they definitely have their own "voice". Anyone who says the Royal can't do metal either hasn't paired it with the right guitar or has a weaker right hand technique. Mark series amps are known for it's incredibly quick response and tight low mid range. Plus the Mark V can do just about anything if you put in the time, however I feel the crunch tones on the RA are slightly stronger, and it takes way less time to dial in. I like to tweak amps so I don't mind the bells and whistles of the Mark V. I would say the RA falls somewhere between the Mark and Recto series in terms of tight low-end, it stays firm with a slight (very subtle) sag. I A/Bed a RA and Multi-watt Triple Recitifier for quite some time, and in regards to the high gain I find the RA to contains all the great qualities of a Recto and without the bad (IMO of course), a full lowend (more than the Mark V less than Recto) with a Tube Screamer like tightness built in giving it a cutting midrange without the fizzy overtones the recto has. Obviously the RA is more British voiced where the Mark is more American (but still tight). Both are great, it's all about preference.

I don't know if I helped, it always hard to put different tones into words, however I think you'll be happy with either. Down the road I want an RA to pair with my V because I feel they compliment each other. But to answer your question, yes the RA can do all kinds of metal from my experience, and I think you would find it far more musical then your 6534.

Wow DWAKO, how do you follow that! Great post bro. I really need to play the RA but my problem is that the only Mesa dealer that's close is Guitar Center in West Palm Beach, I'm about 30 miles north, 45 min drive and I called them to see if they have a Royal and the manager said it doesn't look like they are gonna stock one but he can order one if I buy it.. I'm thinking of just ordering either one of the Boogies and tweak for a few days and if I like it, I'll keep it. If not I guess I could exchange it for the next one. Believe or not, I'm not really picky about tone. I just like diversity. Unlike my 6534, I need my amp to be able to go from my strats to my ESP's without compromise. Good thing for me is that I'm in no rush except that I can't wait to get a Mesa. But unlike my past impulse purchases, I'm gonna take my time and try to make the best informed decision with a little help from The Boogie Board.

It isn't that the RA can't do metal, but when someone wants old school metallica type sounds, with a really fast attack and tight tracking... well that's the Mark V in spades. And it sounds great at low volume.

The RA has a completely different voice, so I think the question comes down to what kind of sound do you want? Do you want a hot rodded british sound, or the classic boogie sound? There's no right or wrong answer, just personal preference.

The other thing I will point out, is that to me, the RA has a stiffer feel than the Mark V for fluid lead playing and doesn't take boost pedals quite as well. It's a very satisfying feel though for riffs and rhythms, and leads that are more dynamic and touch sensitive. It just depends on the kind of player you are and what kind sound sound/feel you're after. Both are excellent and two of my favorite amps ever!

I agree about boost pedals, of the three I've tried, two give a mid hump that the RA really doesn't need and make it sound thinner. I have to say that if the RA seems stiff compared to a Mark, though, that's probably because you're playing through a cab with V30s. Put the RA through an EVM-12 and it's a more "friendly" that way. I really think V30s are best kept to "modern" voiced amps that have monster low end and need to be kept tight. The RA is already tight and not very bass-heavy out of the box.

And yeah, if you would say that you play "technical metal", the RA is probably going to let you down unless you only play real loud, without the attenuator, just because otherwise it is kind of "slow". But if you think High On Fire are the best metal band of the past 15 years, you're set :twisted:

Back