TA15 vs TA30 ??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

59bassman

Reaction score
For years I have always thought I should have a Messa Boogie amp but as I have evolved over years I obviously realised I didn't(!) that is Not until the TA15 appeared with it's diminutive stature and affordable price tag. Then the TA30 comes along with added reverb, but side by side has anyone experience of any tone dissimilarities/traits?

And also, with a current amp arsenal comprising: Fender Supersonic 60w, Fender Tweed Deluxe, Cornford Roadhouse 30 combo, Pignose G40V (2x6L6 3x12AX7) 40w, vintage Session Rockette 30 and a Fender Superchamp XD, do I really need a TA ??

Look forward to your comments...

I, too would love to hear from mesa users, which one they prefer and why.I would like to buy one of them too, but no one seems to be chiming in on this..maybe nobody tried both yet................

Curious about this myself. After falling love with a TA15 in-store, I bought one from a BB member, and quickly sold it -- the one I got sounded cold and harsh, which could have been the amp, the tubes, or the A/C in my house possibly. Also seemed like it suffered from the all-or-none volume thing, even at 5 watts -- just too loud to enjoy. I really wanted to love it, but it gave me major ear fatigue. None of the modes sounded good. Buh-bye.

But I just gave the TA30 1x12 combo a spin, and now I'm GASsing all over again. Not good! Don't need it! But it seemed warmer and fuller sounding, and less jumpy with the volume. Maybe it was the reverb, which also sounded very nice. The US side was great on all settings, and the UK side was as Voxy as it gets. Lovely amp. Relatively lightweight too.

Crap. Don't need it. :roll:

I own the TA-15 and bought it for a practice/recording amp. I now use it as a backup to my gigging rig. I think it has some great clean sounds and the channel 2 H1 is a killer British high gain sound. H2 is a great Boogie lead. Below is a video I used it when I had trouble with my rig opening up for Blues Traveler and I think it did well in front of 6,000 people!

As for the TA-30 I played it at GC and the reverb was nice. My 15 clean channel almost sounds like it has reverb and I have read tha by others.

It was on H1 and 25 watts. There's an octave pedal and wah during the solo but the rhythm is dry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htnNzqtS1o4&feature=player_embedded

Oh and the speaker was a 200 watt EV so I'm sure it would have sounded better driving a V-30 or something easier to distort lol!

Killer sounds and very nice playing.

You know, JMHO but many amps sound so similar when cranked-at least from Youtube videos. And I'm talking boutique and very expensive amps. I have owned Mesa amps for the last thirty years and am looking at other amps, but then I hear a video like yours and think "what the hell am I thinking"? I've already got some really good sounds out of what I have-5:25 Express and LSS.

JMHO,

TW

Thanks for the compliments! I wouldn't disagree with that. A lot of tone is in your hands. I can hear differences in that head from my IIC+ or MK V for sure but it still sounds like me. If Eddie Van Halen plugged into a Fender G Dec you'd know it was him lol.

And I agree with you about the "tone in the hands/fingers". It's just amazing to me that a $5K amp doesn't really sound much different from a $1.3K Mesa, from what I have heard.

I just wish I could play some of these amps. I can't afford them but still.

TW

Well there are definitely differences and in most cases overall tone is definitely improved. What I am saying is you can still sound like yourself on a cheaper rig. However a MK V will always sound richer, fuller and creamier than a Crate :lol: If that wasn't the case I wouldn't have so much gear :roll:

mule#1 said:
I own the TA-15 and bought it for a practice/recording amp. I now use it as a backup to my gigging rig. I think it has some great clean sounds and the channel 2 H1 is a killer British high gain sound. H2 is a great Boogie lead. Below is a video I used it when I had trouble with my rig opening up for Blues Traveler and I think it did well in front of 6,000 people!

As for the TA-30 I played it at GC and the reverb was nice. My 15 clean channel almost sounds like it has reverb and I have read tha by others.

It was on H1 and 25 watts. There's an octave pedal and wah during the solo but the rhythm is dry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htnNzqtS1o4&feature=player_embedded

Hey that sounded great!

Back