NEW Video: Royal Atlantic EL34 vs 6L6

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaggertysMusic

Reaction score
Hey guys I just finished editing the audio from our video shoot last night showing the RA in a EL34 vs 6L6 comparison.

The results were surprising to say the least, and I wanted to share right away!

First of all, I felt the tube swap made a considerable difference in tone, but not in the way I expected. I heard no extra bottom end from the 6L6's... in fact it seemed like there was LESS bottom... although that could be perceived due to the EL34's having a ton of push in the low mids.

The 6L6's extended the top end. There was more sparkle and sizzle, and more clarity. Less mids for sure. Even Nate, our videographer who doesn't play guitar said, "The 6L6's sound.... brighter". He's starting to learn the lingo. :D

Which do I like better? I have no idea! I liked them both and could see using both for different situations. I liked the cleans overall better with the 34's. :shock: Again, huge punch in the low mids.

The video will be uploaded to YouTube on Friday and I'll post a link so you can see for yourselves. I think it's going to be something every RA owner is going to want to try!

......... Have I mentioned that I LOVE this amp?!?!?! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Video is now up!!! Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm6GERsPTnA

Good to hear this, I was going to order some 6l6's for my RA , just to try out .

You guys have some great demo videos by the way.

I got my RA stock with 6L6s....I typically prefer them over EL34s. But I have to say that the sound difference in this amp is night and day....and IMHO I think the 6L6s absolutely suck in this amp. Makes the amp sound more like a Stiletto Ace (in the bright dept.)....Needless to say I was very dissapointed with the tone of the amp with 6L6s. I immediately pulled those and replaced them with new EL34s......and it didn't take long for a smile from ear to ear form on my face.

Unless you're looking to slice and dice, I'd stay away from 6L6s in this amp - like was said, the sound with them is not what you'd expect.

Good video! i was on the fence untill the Hi channel I will stick with the el 34's not what I would expect from 6l6's .Maybe amp is tuned for el 34's

I like the 34's better from the video. They sound a little more "woody". I wish he would use a beefier sounding guitar instead of those Suhr's though.

I thought both sounded good. The 6L6 sounded a little smoother but could live with both.

Just proves we all hear things different. I thought the 6L6s even the video sounded brittle, sucked out all those good mids out of the tone.

To me both types of tubes sound really good. I was not sure if the 6L6's would hold up, but they do sound very nice. Personally I prefered the clean sound with 6L6'S. Still as Mesa say, there is nothing else like the EL34 slash and the vibe of the RA is certainly based around them.

I went and played the RA yesterday and was quite impressed with it. Its tones, features and operation are all very well tuned. Well done to Mesa for creating another great amp.

I agree with the above statements that the 6L6's were more bitey, lacking the mids AND BOTTOM the EL 34s had. I don't know if it's actual bass, or low mids, but the 34's surprisingly had more girth and thump.

danyeo1 said:
I like the 34's better from the video. They sound a little more "woody". I wish he would use a beefier sounding guitar instead of those Suhr's though.

Really? What would you prefer me to use? I have yet to find a better sounding guitar than a Suhr, but that's just me. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Would you prefer a PRS?

HaggertysMusic said:
I agree with the above statements that the 6L6's were more bitey, lacking the mids AND BOTTOM the EL 34s had. I don't know if it's actual bass, or low mids, but the 34's surprisingly had more girth and thump.

danyeo1 said:

Really? What would you prefer me to use? I have yet to find a better sounding guitar than a Suhr, but that's just me. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Would you prefer a PRS?

IMO, LP type (and PRS) guitars showcases the amp's drive tones the best...especially in the blue / red channels - Though the Suhr sounded really good -- in the boutique sector of similar price range, I much prefer the Tom Andersons. My TA Classic and Cobra sound amazing in through this amp...but my PRS ME and LP 57 VOS sound best through it.

I'm really wanting to love the Royal Atlantic more than my Electra Dyne but the clips don't really do it for me. I will have to go and check it out in person to judge properly. How many of you ED owners are thinking of switching over or already have?

JAZZGEAR said:
HaggertysMusic said:

danyeo1 said:

IMO, LP type (and PRS) guitars showcases the amp's drive tones the best...especially in the blue / red channels - Though the Suhr sounded really good -- in the boutique sector of similar price range, I much prefer the Tom Andersons. My TA Classic and Cobra sound amazing in through this amp...but my PRS ME and LP 57 VOS sound best through it.

Thanks for the feedback, and I hear what you're saying. Although personally I'm partial to Suhr guitars, I do try and use a variety for our videos. FWIW in both of these videos featuring the Royal Atlantic I used two PRSi, an SC58 and a Custom 24:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYRvBnFIWnc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH42c6fl7yw

Ultimately it's still my fingers playing, so maybe you just dislike that... nothing I can do to change that. :lol: :lol: :lol:

skunizzi said:
I'm really wanting to love the Royal Atlantic more than my Electra Dyne but the clips don't really do it for me. I will have to go and check it out in person to judge properly. How many of you ED owners are thinking of switching over or already have?

You shouldn't feel like you have to switch. They make both amps for a reason, and if the Electra Dyne is your thing then there's no reason to look any further. You know what they say, if it ain't broke...

JAZZGEAR said:
HaggertysMusic said:

danyeo1 said:

Same here. I've owned 2 Suhr's and played a bunch over the years and while they play great, most of the one's I've played are all bright and a bit thin sounding. The kicker for me was when I had a $400 Ibanez RG3120 that sounded MUCH better than a $2400 Suhr Koa standard. While LP's are very inconsistent, I'd still grab one for hard rock tones, or a good PRS over a Suhr.

But yes, my favorites are Anderson. I've got a Drop Top and a Bulldog.

HaggertysMusic said:
skunizzi said:

You shouldn't feel like you have to switch. They make both amps for a reason, and if the Electra Dyne is your thing then there's no reason to look any further. You know what they say, if it ain't broke...

I agree, I personally feel the Electra Dyne is a better sounding amp. If it had the soak option, it would be killer.

danyeo1 said:
Same here. I've owned 2 Suhr's and played a bunch over the years and while they play great, most of the one's I've played are all bright and a bit thin sounding. The kicker for me was when I had a $400 Ibanez RG3120 that sounded MUCH better than a $2400 Suhr Koa standard. While LP's are very inconsistent, I'd still grab one for hard rock tones, or a good PRS over a Suhr.

But yes, my favorites are Anderson. I've got a Drop Top and a Bulldog.

One mans bright and thin, is anothers clear... One mans warm and fat is another's muddy... It's all good. I think we can agree that all of the above mentioned guitars are great. I try to mix things up for the videos, but you'll primarily see me use Suhr and PRS... Occasionally my Les Paul.

BTW, much love for Anderson guitars. Exceptional instruments, with an equally exceptional company and crew standing behind them.

skunizzi said:

the RA does sound great, but I'm not changing my ED over. I'd like to own an RA as well and may well when they start turning up second hand. The ED and RA complement each other, with the ED being more USA sounding and the RA more British.

Back