considering a Marshall-esque Boogie head

Discussion area for Transatlantic and Royal Atlantic.

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

CoG
Donating Member

Re: considering a Marshall-esque Boogie head

Post by CoG » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:35 pm

JAZZGEAR wrote: +1 - With the max power soak, the RA is definitely bedroom / living room friendly
I guess... at "bedroom" kinda volumes I always apply the "amplitube test" which is whether amplitube 3 sounds better at that volume and the answer's usually yes.

The funny thing is that my wife actually likes the RA a lot more than my Mark III, so she minds less if I crank it a little when she's home (she's a musician too so she actually knows what she's hearing.)

been doing tracks with the RA over the past ten days and in case rabies is still reading this thread... yeah, the RA can get pretty extreme if you drop an eq in the loop but you'd probably be better going back to a green stripe mark III. It can get really heavy but never "brutal".

I say again, though, Mesa should try to get a couple of these to Mastodon.
Royal Atlantic RA-100 Head
MkIII Green Stripe DRG
Lots of Mesa cabs
Marshall JCM800
Also owned: Rec Pre, 20/20, Bottle Rocket, MkIII Purple Stripe DRG, Rev F DR, Rectoverb 50 Series II

58boogie
Mark II

Post by 58boogie » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:10 pm

I am digging the Stiletto and can get very similar jcm2000 tones. I can actually get it down to bedroom volumes by using 50w, spongy switch, through a 1-12 cabinet.

Do yourself a favor and buy it new. Unless you know the person you are buying from, I think a lot of noise / reliability problems with Mesa's come from people #$(*&@ with them and then trading them in or selling them.

rabies
Mark IV

Post by rabies » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:46 pm

CoG wrote:
JAZZGEAR wrote: +1 - With the max power soak, the RA is definitely bedroom / living room friendly
I guess... at "bedroom" kinda volumes I always apply the "amplitube test" which is whether amplitube 3 sounds better at that volume and the answer's usually yes.

The funny thing is that my wife actually likes the RA a lot more than my Mark III, so she minds less if I crank it a little when she's home (she's a musician too so she actually knows what she's hearing.)

been doing tracks with the RA over the past ten days and in case rabies is still reading this thread... yeah, the RA can get pretty extreme if you drop an eq in the loop but you'd probably be better going back to a green stripe mark III. It can get really heavy but never "brutal".

I say again, though, Mesa should try to get a couple of these to Mastodon.
does it really matter? XM had lots of nirvana recently and that guy used a SS power amp I thought. not the best tone but works for that music.

i really like my VM 2266 now for in the house, decent sounding at lower volume and very dynamic.

i re-biased the switcblade (to 70%+) and need to jam it again.
nothing is more powerful than dynamics in the world of music; tone is secondary