Testing : 1, 2..., tweed !

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuyB

Reaction score
Until last week-end, I almost exclusively used only the TopBoost (ch.1) for cleans (with no master) and a bit crunchy and H1 or H2 for lead and dirt (more attack on H1 and more "singning" on H2). But last week-end, at a jam, I decided that it was time to test the... reverse : lead and dirt with the TopBoost (with master) and cleans with the Tweed voicing. Wow ! Both were big and joyful discoveries. With a 2 humbuckers guitar the tone palette was brought even broader than it was. Superb chimey leads on ch.1 and the Tweed was a revelation, could even use it for an almost traditionnal jazzy tone. And when pushed, the Tweed is all I need for blues. Will try it next weed-end with an all single-coils guitar.
This is really the most versatile amp I've ever seen and with superb tone ! I just had to say it :)

GuyB said:
Until last week-end, I almost exclusively used only the TopBoost (ch.1) for cleans (with no master) and a bit crunchy and H1 or H2 for lead and dirt (more attack on H1 and more "singning" on H2). But last week-end, at a jam, I decided that it was time to test the... reverse : lead and dirt with the TopBoost (with master) and cleans with the Tweed voicing. Wow ! Both were big and joyful discoveries. With a 2 humbuckers guitar the tone palette was brought even broader than it was. Superb chimey leads on ch.1 and the Tweed was a revelation, could even use it for an almost traditionnal jazzy tone. And when pushed, the Tweed is all I need for blues. Will try it next weed-end with an all single-coils guitar.
This is really the most versatile amp I've ever seen and with superb tone ! I just had to say it :)

Are you talking TA-15 or 30? Tweed pushed into overdrive with single coils is where it's at! I don't own a transatlantic, but my job does require me to play countless hours on them... :D ... and I would be perfectly happy channel switching between top boost (overdriven and breaking up nice) and tweed (also pushed into power tube clip)... add a boost pedal for funsies, and I'm set. Who needs 'cleans'?!?!

Love the tweed side of the TA-15 for cleans/slight break up and the vox side at a similar gain point (very different tone though). Then I use pedals for driving the vox side to get higher gain marshall style overdrive tone. I like the H1/H2 sounds but after a year with the amp this mostly clean set up + pedals has proved really versatile for everything from Jazz to Metal!

Oops ! Sorry HaggertysMusic, forgot to say it's a TA-30 !

I'll come back after using the single coils (btw, it's a Godin Passion RG-3). It's fun to have your comments on these two voicings, keep them coming.

It was another WOW night ! You are right HaggertysMusic, single coils are perfect for these two voicings (TopBoost with gain and almost clean Tweed).

Oh yes, have I ever experimented with my TA-30 combo and love it!

GuyB.....the next thing to do is use Ch1 Top Boost for high gain crunch and/or lead sounds set to 30W (with no master) and set the cut to 10 or 11 while playing a single coil guitar. Will it be loud....Hell yes, but so nice!! :D

The TA-30 offers tremendous great tone and flexibility for a 2 channel amp.

I love all of the modes offered on the TA-30 and the power settings. Personally, I prefer the 30W power mode for most of my playing, but will push it up to 40W for maximum crunch/lead high gain sounds in H1 and H2 modes of Ch2.

Personally, clean sounds do matter to me (no offense Don), and the TA-30 delivers very nicely in either channel (Ch1 Normal or Ch2 Tweed mode) depending upon how it is dialed in.

The really, really, really nice thing about the Top Boost mode of Ch1 is that I can set it fairly "hot" for the nice "clean" high gain crunch sound and dial my guitar volume back to clean it up very nicely. In the meantime.....I usually set Ch2 to H1 mode and switch to my HB pickup for crisp and focused high gain crunch work. I find Ch2 H1 mode to usually be my preferred for high gain lead work with the TA-30 (at least so far), but will sometimes switch to H2. However, H2 is much darker sounding so I do find myself needing to compensate by adjusting my amp tone knobs/guitar tone knobs to brighten H2 up a bit for lead work.

My primary amp is a MkV and it is by far my preferred #1 amp.....especially for gigs, but my TA-30 offers great tones as well that I really enjoy playing and it definitely offers great sounds and certainly enough volume to be a gigging amp as well.

I must say that I haven't been able to dial in the urgent and classic british "clean" crunch sound offered in Top Boost mode of TA-30 with my MkV so far, and that is saying something considering the incredible versatility of the MkV! :D

Latest posts

Back